Gap in the market?

Big J

2 hours ago, nepia said:

And yet apparently they successfully double parked in order to pass their driving test!  'I've never taken a test' isn't an excuse any more (my Mum never did due to her age - was taught to drive on 3 tonners by the RAF in the war).

The reversing required on a car test is pants.

Basically just parking into a space or a straight reverse for two car lengths.

I like to take mine on a narrow country lane with less than 1 foot to spare all round. Then reverse round a few gentle bends with good views for safety. Also teach to actively look for passing points or just wide sections. So many stop in the narrow section having just passed a wide bit.

• Like 5

I'm trying to get my wife's head around the fact that the only way to do long distance reversing (an almost daily fact of life around here) is to use the wing mirrors and not to look over her shoulder. That's ignoring the fact that two out of our three vehicles are vans and as such have bulkheads. She's OK at it, but gets flustered easily on the back roads.

I'd be curious to see what the accident rate is down here versus other parts of the country with better infrastructure. 

On 10/08/2019 at 11:55, Big J said:

Most of the roads on the continent you wouldn't even think about the width of your vehicle. We haven't upgraded our roads to keep up with the development of vehicles in the UK.

For instance, on a site we're working at the moment, the pinch point was the road on one side of the bridge adjacent to site. A 2.9m wide bridge with a right turn after it meant that the lorries were having to turn right whilst still on the bridge. It was tight even for 6 wheelers. So I put a ruddy great big layby in straight on from the bridge so that the lorries can now completely cross it before turning and now we can get wagon and drags in. The whole network just needs an upgrade.

i wondered if it was you had done that when i did a 'site visit' yesterday.  I will hafta inform Devon Highways i'm afraid...

7 hours ago, wicklamulla said:

i wondered if it was you had done that when i did a 'site visit' yesterday.  I will hafta inform Devon Highways i'm afraid...

Haha! ?

I assume to recommend me to their road upgrade team?

• Like 1