Gap in the market?

Big J

36 minutes ago, Big J said:

It's just frustrating really. The Delicas look lovely, but they're underpowered for the hills around here. For instance, my present route to work is only 18-20 minutes, but involves climbing a 400ft hill, descending 300ft, then climbing another 400ft, descending 500ft, then climbing a 500ft hill then descending 400ft. Steepest incline 25%. Stick a trailer on and you'll understand the requirement for BHP.

why don't u just move to suffolk, sod changing vehicles!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

It’s always going to be two different vehicles to meet the spec. Little van even if beefed up and 4x4 never going to have the weight or footprint to tow 3500kg if that’s what you want. 

Anything with the ability to tow 3500kg and have plenty of torque is going to have a decent footprint or it would be a pig to tow. 

Still think my combo of older Range Rover and Citroen nemo Van is the best I’ve ever had and prefer two vehicles to having one do it all. Although trip to the abattoir this morning with just two lambs in Rover and trailer was the first time I’ve missed the 90 or pick ups with canopies.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Big J said:

I was thinking about how there is a gap in the work vehicle market on the way home from site today. 

I have two work vehicles. A 4x4 Sprinter and a Citroen Berlingo. I love both and they both have their place. The Sprinter is however annoyingly large for day to day use and the Berlingo can't tow anything, and despite having a clever series of off road modes, is nevertheless 2 wheel drive.

Now if I want to get a 4x4 work vehicle that can tow (new, not used), I'm limited to pick ups. They are oversized with cramped cabins and have five seats, which most of us don't need for work.

I then thought that the Berlingo is a really good van, and about the same size as a Defender 90. Three seats in the front, comfortable, well equipped and cheap. Why couldn't they build a heavy duty version of it? Same footprint (including the 440cm total length, which is 90cm shorter than a pickup), but 180bhp engine (instead of the 130bhp is has), heavier chassis, greater ground clearance and 4x4. Shouldn't cost any more than a pickup, but much more practical for the majority of us. The load space is larger than that of a pickup, the cabin space more volumous (accepting the lack of a second row of seats), the maneuverability superior on account of it's compact dimensions and it's now tricked out with bling like half the pickups on sale today seem to be.

At 203cm tall, I find vans much more spacious, and modern pickups are anything but work vehicles. What do you actually buy (new, not used) these days is you want a decent 4x4 work vehicle that isn't the size of a house and adorned in chrome? 

Me and some mates were talking the other weekend about just the same thing, not just work truck but for shooting aswell. 

• Like 1

I do sympathise with the size of the lanes down your way, Jonathan but as you quite rightly point out, anything other than a horse is a problem. You might as well have a slightly bigger problem that is at least available. Short wheelbase Transits are pretty small and manoeuvrable and can be outfitted with transfer box four wheel drive systems from Ford pickups. Wranglerstar on YouTube has a video of his short or medium wheelbase adventure van being fitted out with one. I doubt Transit Connects are similar at all though. Likewise I doubt the power of either would be to your taste.

You could just run about in a lorry when nobody else is on the roads and have a Smart car with a lifting eye on the roof you can take with it. You could get a plexiglass dome from one of those charity coin collection things you used to see in shops for your head.

Big-W-RAC.jpg

IMAGES.APP.GOO.GL
Found on Google from collectionbox.com.au
  • Haha 5

14 hours ago, Big J said:

I then thought that the Berlingo is a really good van, and about the same size as a Defender 90. Three seats in the front, comfortable, well equipped and cheap. Why couldn't they build a heavy duty version of it? Same footprint (including the 440cm total length, which is 90cm shorter than a pickup), but 180bhp engine (instead of the 130bhp is has), heavier chassis, greater ground clearance and 4x4. Shouldn't cost any more than a pickup, but much more practical for the majority of us. The load space is larger than that of a pickup, the cabin space more volumous (accepting the lack of a second row of seats), the maneuverability superior on account of it's compact dimensions and it's now tricked out with bling like half the pickups on sale today seem to be.

Sounds like a project; two wheel motors on the back from a Tesla, small battery pack of about 2kWh usable, swap out the alternator with a 150V 5kW one. 100A buck converter for the 12V system with a small lead acid battery. Raspberry pi controller and then you have a hybrid with 4wd capability for a couple of miles or electric only for town. Hybrid battery charged on the overrun or under braking also gives the extra horsepower for hill climbing.

Towing remains the same.

• Like 3