Gap in the market?

Big J

I was thinking about how there is a gap in the work vehicle market on the way home from site today. 

I have two work vehicles. A 4x4 Sprinter and a Citroen Berlingo. I love both and they both have their place. The Sprinter is however annoyingly large for day to day use and the Berlingo can't tow anything, and despite having a clever series of off road modes, is nevertheless 2 wheel drive.

Now if I want to get a 4x4 work vehicle that can tow (new, not used), I'm limited to pick ups. They are oversized with cramped cabins and have five seats, which most of us don't need for work.

I then thought that the Berlingo is a really good van, and about the same size as a Defender 90. Three seats in the front, comfortable, well equipped and cheap. Why couldn't they build a heavy duty version of it? Same footprint (including the 440cm total length, which is 90cm shorter than a pickup), but 180bhp engine (instead of the 130bhp is has), heavier chassis, greater ground clearance and 4x4. Shouldn't cost any more than a pickup, but much more practical for the majority of us. The load space is larger than that of a pickup, the cabin space more volumous (accepting the lack of a second row of seats), the maneuverability superior on account of it's compact dimensions and it's now tricked out with bling like half the pickups on sale today seem to be.

At 203cm tall, I find vans much more spacious, and modern pickups are anything but work vehicles. What do you actually buy (new, not used) these days is you want a decent 4x4 work vehicle that isn't the size of a house and adorned in chrome? 

7 hours ago, Wedgebanger said:

I think you will find there is a 4x4 berlingo type thing, although it my only be available in France, ie lefty hand drive

edit... cream yourself over this.. 

Sweet! Though still a light van, so low on towing capacity I'd expect?

41 minutes ago, billpierce said:

Foutrak?
Swb land cruiser?
4x4 swb transit?
4motion transporter?

Fourtrak isn't available new, the Landcruiser isn't a van, rather an SUV adapted, the Transit is huge and not a proper 4x4 and the Transporter is still fairly large and doesn't have much ground clearance without modification, as well as being horendously expensive.

I just like driving vans as opposed to conventional 4x4s. Better driving position, better load carrying capacity. That 4x4 Berlingo in the video above would be spot on if it had an extra half tonne of steel in the form of a larger engine, stronger chassis and uprated suspension.