Log delivery vehicles

Rwhiteheadfirewood

22 minutes ago, arboriculturist said:

Is this the truck with the 4m3 back?  Air suspension I have not had dealings with - what is the principle, benefits and additional cost if you don't mind me asking?

Yes it is, it's got air suspension on the back end which you can adjust with a compressor according to the load the same as pumping a tyre. It also gains you a couple of hundred kilos of legal weight over the standard leaf springs.

Not sure on the cost as we had it all as one price but it wasn't a massive increase from what I remember.

31 minutes ago, gdh said:

Yes it is, it's got air suspension on the back end which you can adjust with a compressor according to the load the same as pumping a tyre. It also gains you a couple of hundred kilos of legal weight over the standard leaf springs.

Not sure on the cost as we had it all as one price but it wasn't a massive increase from what I remember.

That is certainly the ultimate delivery vehicle, but at close to 30K new with the 4m3 bodywork and air suspension I am not sure firewood sales could justify the outlay.

There again 30K over 10 years @ 3K / year - say 2000m3 / year delivered = £1.50 / m3.   

Is that how you see things if you don't mind me asking? 

Edited by arboriculturist

2 hours ago, arboriculturist said:

That is certainly the ultimate delivery vehicle, but at close to 30K new with the 4m3 bodywork and air suspension I am not sure firewood sales could justify the outlay.

There again 30K over 10 years @ 3K / year - say 2000m3 / year delivered = £1.50 / m3.   

Is that how you see things if you don't mind me asking? 

Basically the same workings but I do it over 5 years minus 10k sale value and plus finance of a few thousand so slightly more per cube. 

I've always bought vehicles outright, but maybe finance is a more tax efficient way forward. Also a rolling 5 year replacement keeps you with a smart looking vehicle and low maintenance costs. All our vehicles are kept until they are well over 10 years old which may not be so beneficial on reflection.

What do others think ?

Outright is the best way to buy unless you can get 0% interest which we try and get but usually only succeed on tractors. Finance is easier to manage with a monthly cost though and of course if you're like us you've spent all your money on wood and the bank can't stop you getting one a vehicle on finance. ;)

I've debated how often to change a lot and keeping longer/buying second is better value but I still prefer to keep things new as they're covered by warranty so there's less risk overall and more importantly you're less likely to have downtime which is where you can very quickly lose money and reputation. 

Also it won't apply to everyone but my personal view is I would rather spend more and have a newer and higher spec vehicle to be comfortable in at work than spend the money on going out on holiday etc because that's where I spend the majority of my time. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, gdh said:

Outright is the best way to buy unless you can get 0% interest which we try and get but usually only succeed on tractors. Finance is easier to manage with a monthly cost though and of course if you're like us you've spent all your money on wood and the bank can't stop you getting one a vehicle on finance. ;)

I've debated how often to change a lot and keeping longer/buying second is better value but I still prefer to keep things new as they're covered by warranty so there's less risk overall and more importantly you're less likely to have downtime which is where you can very quickly lose money and reputation. 

Also it won't apply to everyone but my personal view is I would rather spend more and have a newer and higher spec vehicle to be comfortable in at work than spend the money on going out on holiday etc because that's where I spend the majority of my time. 

Same as you, every penny is invested in timber and as we air dry, we need a lot of lead time / stock.

I have been unable to find a 0% finance deal, several seem to be around 9%, I am not sure if that is reasonable? 

Isuzu Dmax with 5 year warranty and load capacity with air suspension looks like the only viable option. Weight with 4m3 dry firewood on, combined with tipper and bodywork puts you right on the very limit of legality - wood needs to be really dry, which yours is of course.

Having 2 delivery vehicles reduces risks dramatically of course should you be running older / second hand vehicles.

All our equipment is older but as it is well maintained and regularly serviced we get little downtime.

Certainly don't get the exotic holidays overseas, but offset that with good shoot days.

Thanks for the insight into how you operate.

Finally, as we plan to carry 4m3 - what ISUZU   model, spec and engine size is best to go for?

Edited by arboriculturist