Husqvarna vs. Stihl

Gareth1982

On ‎06‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 20:24, Steve Bullman said:

It would be interesting to know what the split was between husky and stihl users. I expect it would be hard to find out, and I doubt many dealers would want to divulge such information publicly.

Trouble is, the general public see the pro's using gear with for example the Stihl name on it, then when they go to make a purchase they want a Stihl.  Doesn't matter that it's a Chinese Stihl the from the lowest end of the range, it's a Stihl.   I would guess this applies to other brands , but the big boys sell their stuff based on the badge, doesn't matter what it's actually like at the end of the day.  People trust the name.   Eventually it will bite these manufacturers on the arse as people wise up.

Brands like Echo  you tend to have to sell to the customer, because most domestic customers don't know the name.  Anything that has a big name on it tends to sell itself, doesn't mean its any good, or any better than other stuff out there.   You're also paying to have that name on the product.  

Technology is moving on, and the lesser known brands are catching up with the big boys, if not overtaking them on some things, but the blinkers stay on unfortunately.  

Just my 2p's worth.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, lurkalot said:

Trouble is, the general public see the pro's using gear with for example the Stihl name on it, then when they go to make a purchase they want a Stihl.  Doesn't matter that it's a Chinese Stihl the from the lowest end of the range, it's a Stihl.   I would guess this applies to other brands , but the big boys sell their stuff based on the badge, doesn't matter what it's actually like at the end of the day.  People trust the name.   Eventually it will bite these manufacturers on the arse as people wise up.

Brands like Echo  you tend to have to sell to the customer, because most domestic customers don't know the name.  Anything that has a big name on it tends to sell itself, doesn't mean its any good, or any better than other stuff out there.   You're also paying to have that name on the product.  

Technology is moving on, and the lesser known brands are catching up with the big boys, if not overtaking them on some things, but the blinkers stay on unfortunately.  

Just my 2p's worth.

Good points, plenty of home owners have home owner type Stihls that are pretty crappy, but they’re as pleased as punch with it, as they believe they have the best they can have.

I advise (should my advice be sought) these sort of peeps to buy an Echo for their bits and bobs.

I have heard that the pro saws for the big two don’t really produce a lot of revenue, the real money is in the homeowner stuff, but they need to keep the pro stuff going to maintain the reputation. Obviously, as I’m not chief financial officer for either of the companies that just speculation.

MaCulloch (however it’s spelt!) was an example of this.

Edited by Mick Dempsey
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, lurkalot said:

Just my 2p's worth.

That's exactly why John Deere are strong in the large home owner / hobby farmer for ride on mowers & compact tractors! A John Deere showroom is at its busiest on a Saturday morning...

We are a Husky main dealer. We get folk walking in buying saws from us and they are fed up of Stihl. Probably happens the other way around too. That's life. BMW v Audi really isn't it. Take your pick, support your local dealer, they'll support you :)

As a shameless plug, this is our new showroom!

GA upstairs shop 2.jpg

GA upstairs shop.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

McCulloch (however it’s spelt!) was an example of this.

Definately right, Dempsey. McCulloch made fine Pro saws, but sold so many cheaper saws to idiots - it crashed their name in tree works. Stihl beware ! K

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Khriss said:

Definately right, Dempsey. McCulloch made fine Pro saws, but sold so many cheaper saws to idiots - it crashed their name in tree works. Stihl beware ! K

I would say it was more to do with Electrolux taking them over and changing the direction of the brand from pro use in to home owner use. I guess they thought it would increase their sales or perhaps the Germans and Swedes were giving them a battering. Loads of big American saw companies went that way - Homelite, Pioneer to name two!

• Like 1

On ‎06‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 20:24, Steve Bullman said:

It would be interesting to know what the split was between husky and stihl users. I expect it would be hard to find out, and I doubt many dealers would want to divulge such information publicly.

From what saws, brush cutters, blowers and trimmers I get in I would say Stihl to Husqvarna is circa 10:1 to 15:1.....what do other repairers find?