Husqvarna vs. Stihl

Gareth1982

Just now, Gareth1982 said:

What I want to know is (as originally asked), are Stihl and Husky still considered about equal in terms of quality and performance??

I would say yes, more or less. There seems to be certain saws from each manufacturer that get slated more than others. It would be interesting to know what the split was between husky and stihl users. I expect it would be hard to find out, and I doubt many dealers would want to divulge such information publicly.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gareth1982 said:

What I want to know is (as originally asked), are Stihl and Husky still considered about equal in terms of quality and performance??

Jeebus, how original do you reckon that question is on a forum like this? But as a newby I guess I’ll go along with it.

imo, they both have models that are superior to their rivals, I have plenty of both marques, and consider the 201 Stihl a modern classic as is the husky 550.

Wouldn’t personally bother with Stihl m-tronic.when I was doing some saw tickets the course leaded / examiner was very anti Stihl said they had copied the saw designs from husqvarna not as good etc .starting to wonder if he was onto something .to be fair though everything does break at some point 

12 minutes ago, spudulike said:

Cars - more reliable, faster and safer

Motorcycles - Faster, don't leak oil, handle better

TVs - more reliable, better picture etc.

Mobile Phones - smaller, thinner, faster, better....

Sure - I do agree on many items, I hate it when something is made so cheap it barely meets its designed function!

Don’t go spoiling my ‘good old days’ rant with a bunch of facts thanks Steve!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Jack.P said:

Wouldn’t personally bother with Stihl m-tronic.when I was doing some saw tickets the course leaded / examiner was very anti Stihl said they had copied the saw designs from husqvarna not as good etc .starting to wonder if he was onto something .to be fair though everything does break at some point 

Correct me if I’m wrong but I seem to remember Stihl coming out with the m-tronic stuff 1st, with Husky bringing out their version sometime after...

11 minutes ago, Jack.P said:

? Was the course leader sponsored by Husqvarna by any chance?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Husqvarna had the first AT units - on the 576 I believe! I thought Stihl purchased the rights to that system just as Husqvarna changed over to another system - ADW will be around soon to correct us all!

Not sure I would call the first MS201s a classic - classic door stop perhaps:D

Husqvarna - 254, 346, 372, 395

Stihl - MS260, MS460, MS660, MS200

Take your pick, both make good saws, the early 261s had big crank issues but the Mtronic ones now seem OK, the 550XP had heat problems and has now been redesigned to sort them!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Gareth1982 said:

Correct me if I’m wrong but I seem to remember Stihl coming out with the m-tronic stuff 1st, with Husky bringing out their version sometime after...

Ok Correcting you as you are wrong ....Husqvarna made the first Autotune saw . This was  1st genaration A/T and quite basic compared to the current version .  ( Could be 3rd or 4th generation now ) When Husqvarna released the 2nd Gen they sold the 1st Gen to Stihl . ?

Edited by Stubby