Insurance for public display

Woodlover

I have been lucky enough to get a piece I did into an Art gallery but they want me to have Insurance.

I have only just heard this via email and will meet them next week to discuss...I would like to go prepared knowing what`s what but on-line just now answering silly questions that don't apply to me or the situation the quote came out at £160 FFS

What do you guys who exhibit your work at wood fairs ect do?  I only need 1 months cover for this one event.

3 hours ago, Woodlover said:

I have been lucky enough to get a piece I did into an Art gallery but they want me to have Insurance.

I have only just heard this via email and will meet them next week to discuss...I would like to go prepared knowing what`s what but on-line just now answering silly questions that don't apply to me or the situation the quote came out at £160 FFS

What do you guys who exhibit your work at wood fairs ect do?  I only need 1 months cover for this one event.

What is the piece?  I am just wondering how risky it is but without knowing if it is a 20m totem pole or a turned life size cherry we are a bit in the dark.

I sort of hope it is a life size cherry...

15 minutes ago, Squaredy said:

What is the piece?  I am just wondering how risky it is but without knowing if it is a 20m totem pole or a turned life size cherry we are a bit in the dark.

I sort of hope it is a life size cherry...

Its the Statue from "something different" thread...I`ll post a pic below.

stat1a.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rough Hewn said:

I think they want the item insured against damage or loss/theft.
emoji106.png

Yeah maybe that is all they want.  OP didn’t say and I assumed product liability.

Theft and accidental damage cover should be cheap enough. Proving the value could be tricky if it was pinched.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, devon TWiG said:

I sell work through galleries and have never been asked for insurance ...I am sure that is their responsibility !!   however for craft fairs PL is required and I use Hayes Parsons £57 pa

Thanks for that...This place is an Art gallery but they do have a section with local craft stuff so maybe the lady I was talking to just got confused with the craft side of things.

9 hours ago, Rough Hewn said:

I think they want the item insured against damage or loss/theft.

Cheers Saul , I think that to ...I cannot see any other possible claims to be had. I will have to see what they require next week. It is going to be in a window display so damage from public will be very unlikely unless there is a riot.

Insuring your stuff against theft and damage is a really good idea but although you might think it is usually the responsibility of the exhibitor, so your responsibility on your stall in a craft show, the shop owners in a gallery, etc, this isn't always the case and you should always check, one guy on a different forum lent some miniatures that had literally taken years to build to an international company for a major showcase and they were stolen when everyone was packing up, no-one had valued them, and an apology doesn't really cut it....

• Thanks 1