Which farm jack?

spandit

...All over Caithness but they're not being maintained sadly.  You can see why when it's so much quicker to knock in a few posts and staple some wire to them.

But they make valuable shelter for stock, e.g. when there are young lambs around.  The slabs are darned hard work to manhandle though; they are seriously heavy.

• Like 1

Using jacks seems a bit of a faff just for lifting posts , we knocked up a lever tool for popping out posts, just wrap the chain around the base and push the handle down. It can pop out 4"x4" posts with concrete around the base so wont have trouble with tree stakes. You can buy similar.

Bob

A73F62E1-A87E-482E-83F3-37BFC41934B5_zps

• Like 4

On 06/08/2019 at 17:38, drinksloe said:

If the stakes are only 1" are u not easier just snapping them off?

I can snap them off but this way means I have a stock to replace broken ones or for planting new trees with the tubes I've been given or salvaged. Doesn't take long with the new jack

Why planting alot of  trees large enough to  need stakes?

I reckon smaller trees establish better and after a few yrs will catch up you could you then use bamboo...

Durablity depends on if stakes are hardwood or softwood I suppose, some are robina that is suppose to last  well...

6 hours ago, Stere said:

Why planting alot of  trees large enough to  need stakes?

I reckon smaller trees establish better and after a few yrs will catch up you could you then use bamboo...

Durablity depends on if stakes are hardwood or softwood I suppose, some are robina that is suppose to last  well...

Surely, the stakes in this case are to support the tubes, to protect the trees from deer

• Like 1

16 hours ago, doobin said:

Each to their own. Personally, time would be far more valuable to me than some second hand stake that had been in the ground already, with most of its useful life already gone. 

They're still pretty solid and if you lived with your mother-in-law you'd understand why spending hours in the woodland is a more valuable use of time :D

• Haha 2