Tipper insurance

Mark Bolam

That time of year again, for me to launch an extremely boring thread.

I’ve been with NFU for a few years, but I think I’m paying Premier League prices for Division 3 requirement.

My Transit d/c tipper is 13 years old, good workhorse, but probably worth less than £4k.

I’m 50, clean licence, 9 years + no claims. One other named driver over 30 with clean record, licence held for 15 years.

NFU can’t get below £600.

Can anyone recommend any companies from PERSONAL experience of insuring 3.5t tippers?

Please no ‘farm boy age 22 pays £170 fully comp for his brand new truck through Direct Line’ stories.

Loads of companies won’t insure commercials or tippers, and I haven’t got time to be calling them.

Have you seen how long the buggers keep you on the phone for?

Key words ‘personal, experience, 3.5t and tippers’.

Thanks.

19 minutes ago, AndyNeedz said:

I work in commercial insurance and, in fairness, circa £600 is a decent rate if you’re using your tipper to carry goods for other people for payment.
If it’s your own goods you’re carrying you may get it a little cheaper.

I wasn’t quite sure about that tbh Andy.

The trees I cut down belong to other people, but when they go into the truck they become mine because they are going back to my yard, in whatever form, and I’m keeping them.

• Like 1

I'll be looking into this later in the year, nov i think mine is..... Pita is this van ins thing.... plenty of ncb on both my vehicles here but still a lot of money.

Problem with tippers and us is the backs we have for signs and keeping chip in... Modification. most companies see it as a cash cow.

Im currently with aviva and being lazy i've renewed for the past 4 years ... Maybe not this year!

I wouldn't mind paying 500-600 each vehicle but mines a lot more. Maybe im being persecuted for being young? that said.... better to be young and paying more lol 

Edited by swinny
  • Like 2

I wasn’t quite sure about that tbh Andy.
The trees I cut down belong to other people, but when they go into the truck they become mine because they are going back to my yard, in whatever form, and I’m keeping them.

Would be the standard own goods use rather then the higher rate.

There’s not many left nowadays, but try a high street insurance broker local to you and see what they can do as well as the usual compare your meerkat etc
  • Thanks 1

I’m not in arb Mark, just personal use but with vans so on commercial insurance obviously, over the years i have been with NFU, Aviva, Hastings, Axa, Budget, currently with One Call, never had to claim but i only insure 3rd fire and theft. Never paid above £350 on any of them. Had Peugeot Partner, Peugeot Expert, Ford Transit SWB, 2 x Berlingo’s

• Like 2