Stem Price

Guy 11

Who buys stems from tree surgeon. What sort of prices are people paying. Do you have a set price or dose it depend on the quality and size. Me an a freind are setting up a small milling buisness. So far we have milled some oaks up to 3" wide 3m long . I help cutt the trees down for the lumber. We have a kiln and small workshop

image.jpg

Edited by Guy 11
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Guy 11 said:

Who buys stems from tree surgeon. What sort of prices are people paying. Do you have a set price or dose it depend on the quality and size. Me an a freind are setting up a small milling buisness. So far we have milled some oaks up to 3" wide 3m long . I help cutt the trees down for the lumber. We have a kiln and small workshop

image.jpg

As a general rule you may be better off buying from forestry contractors.  That way you can get a whole timber lorry load delivered for around £70 per cubic metre or maybe a bit more for Oak.

I do buy from tree surgeons but usually only if they deliver to me  and then I pay around £70 per cubic metre.

And make sure you know how to calculate volume otherwise you will get into endless arguments about how many tons you are being sold.  I would suggest always paying per by volume not weight.

• Like 1

I would be happy for any Miller to pay for collection of any Trunks I don't want.I mill some of the best stuff and use it in my House.

People come to my yard for free firewood logs in lengths or in the round.I am just happy to get rid of it.

Everyone is different though.There was a bloke on here with a Huge and Very valuable Beech log for sale.

• Like 1

image.thumb.jpg.6d7a4da54ec04859bfa9c140e31b8df7.jpg

Chainsaw milling is slow.
Cuts a huge kerf.
The niche for us is
mobile ability,
Wide cutting capacity,
Inclusions aren't fatal to the chain,
Cheap to buy compared with bandsaws etc.

Buying logs is an art form.
Species
Size
Form, straight or bent
Character
Rot
Twist
Likelyhood of inclusions
Transport/logistics
Etc etc etc.....

It's a gamble, that 12'x3' pippy oak may have nothing in the timber.
That little hole of rot....
Might be the whole inside gone.

Cut what you will need/able to sell.
I pay at least processed firewood prices from tree surgeons for quality milling logs. And I pay the forester a better price to get the pick of the logs.
(Forest logs are much better for milling than garden logs).

If you're offering milling services,
There's a Saw milling directory website run by the guy who does Arbtalk.

It's a great business to be in,
Post some of your work on here.
[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

• Like 2

Speaking as a tree surgeon who uses a local sawmill to get rid of the bigger stuff, here’s what I want from the guy taking the trunks.

Flexibility as far as when you come to get it, if I say “it’ll be ready around 4 on tuesday afternoon”  then get there with your lorry around that time, use your mobile to check of course before leaving.

Not damaging the clients property, it’s all too easy to have your eye on the prize and charge in over a lawn, smashing all and sundry with your grab to get your precious lump. We’ve been paid not to create a war zone.

Try not to engage too much with the client, they’ll probably feel a bit of suspicion that they’re seeing the value of a holiday home in the Caribbean on the back of your lorry, come in, get it, shake hands, off you toddle.

Do all that and usually it’s yours for nothing.

• Like 6

17 hours ago, Rough Hewn said:

Chainsaw milling is slow.
Cuts a huge kerf.
The niche for us is
mobile ability,
Wide cutting capacity,
Inclusions aren't fatal to the chain,
Cheap to buy compared with bandsaws etc.

Buying logs is an art form.
Species
Size
Form, straight or bent
Character
Rot
Twist
Likelyhood of inclusions
Transport/logistics
Etc etc etc.....

It's a gamble, that 12'x3' pippy oak may have nothing in the timber.
That little hole of rot....
Might be the whole inside gone.

Cut what you will need/able to sell.
I pay at least processed firewood prices from tree surgeons for quality milling logs. And I pay the forester a better price to get the pick of the logs.
(Forest logs are much better for milling than garden logs).

If you're offering milling services,
There's a Saw milling directory website run by the guy who does Arbtalk.

It's a great business to be in,
Post some of your work on here.
emoji106.pngemoji106.pngemoji106.png

Cheers Rough will defently  post some pics as we go. It really is a grate business to be in i find it so exsiting opening trees up an seeing the lovely patterns. 

I was thinking it would be around fire wood price. An i will defently look into getting trees from local forester. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Speaking as a tree surgeon who uses a local sawmill to get rid of the bigger stuff, here’s what I want from the guy taking the trunks.

Flexibility as far as when you come to get it, if I say “it’ll be ready around 4 on tuesday afternoon”  then get there with your lorry around that time, use your mobile to check of course before leaving.

Not damaging the clients property, it’s all too easy to have your eye on the prize and charge in over a lawn, smashing all and sundry with your grab to get your precious lump. We’ve been paid not to create a war zone.

Try not to engage too much with the client, they’ll probably feel a bit of suspicion that they’re seeing the value of a holiday home in the Caribbean on the back of your lorry, come in, get it, shake hands, off you toddle.

17 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Hi Mick i totally get what ur saying about the customers. We are having to mill on site at the moment and had to leave the job because the customer got funny. We are getting a log trailer soon as possible. Where are uou based

4 minutes ago, Guy 11 said:

Hi Mick i totally get what ur saying about the customers. We are having to mill on site at the moment and had to leave the job because the customer got funny. We are getting a log trailer soon as possible. Where are uou based

I live in France.

Not surprised customer got funny tbh.