Tractor decision to be made....

Sirius

Hi all, 

I am after a bit of advice twixt a Valmet and a New Holland. 

I manage woodlands on an estate and am after a tractor ro run a palms forwarder traile, winch and log splitting splitter. Most of the terrain is Small woodlands some very steep where most timber will be winched to ride to be collected by tractor. But i don't expect to be driving the tractor of the rides all that much. 

I have viewed  a few and got it down to two tractors within my budget a Valmet 665 (10k hours loader in good condition, no forestry cages) and a New Holland 6635 (5k hours, loader, overall more tidy than the valtra, not forest spec, but we'll shod) 

I am trying to way it up, I am unsure if the NH is much good in the woods, more plastic, less ground clearance etc, even though a better buy. What in reality does the valmet have over a new holland?

Does anyone have experience of these two tractors? Any input gratefully received. 

Cheers sirius

Both nice nimble tractors for winching or yard work but would be a bit light for pulling forwarding trailer?

vallmet would be easier to guard and engine and gearing well suited to forestry type work.

new Holland probably easier to sell on and get parts for. Have had Fiats in the woods and liked them

10 hours ago, s o c said:

Both nice nimble tractors for winching or yard work but would be a bit light for pulling forwarding trailer?

vallmet would be easier to guard and engine and gearing well suited to forestry type work.

new Holland probably easier to sell on and get parts for. Have had Fiats in the woods and liked them

Hi thanks for your reply, yeh I thought maybe a bit light, but just don't load it so high hey. 

I think the new holland is a better buy and mores hp. But the valmet is more robust but higher hours. 

Decisions. 

Edited by Sirius
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

First off, I’m a John Deere man. But, don’t listen to the people bashing the new Holland. Both what you’re looking at are good machines, and if the 6635 is as you describe then that’s the one I’d lean to, simply on the basis of less hours, proven design, good engine, very good 4wd, I owned a 5635 from new for 5 years and it handled steep terrain incredibly. Traded in for a JD as 75hp wasn’t powerful enough. The 90hp 6635 will handle what you want to do just fine. New Holland dealers are ten a penny, no issues getting bits either.

I was going to say wot busy daddy said many valmet's the seat turns round some even have a pedal and steering wheel to drive it in reverse. 

Have a good look if anything expensive hanging down or in a place that could be speared by a branch easily. Some tractors don't put a lot of thought into it