Jump to content
eggsarascal

Whaley Bridge Evacuated

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Chalgravesteve said:

I would struggle to believe that the slipway was originally constructed with a void underneath it, if there was a void there all the time

If you lay concrete onto soil then a void will occur over time as the soil will dry out and naturally compact, add gaps in joints to allow water and the void will only get bigger unless the water is contained and then you have swelling, but that is not happening here.

I don't know how this dam was built but I cannot imagine there are no supporting pillars or walls beneath the slabs as they would have sagged or moved along time ago without something supporting them other than soil. 

With the thickness of the concrete and lack of re-bar there must be something other than soil holding that span of concrete up??

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:egg:`s , a man in the pub reckoned the damage was caused by some confused Irish muslims in a boat, something to do with fasting iirc :dontknow:

 

Bob

  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Woodlover said:

If you lay concrete onto soil then a void will occur over time as the soil will dry out and naturally compact, add gaps in joints to allow water and the void will only get bigger unless the water is contained and then you have swelling, but that is not happening here.

I don't know how this dam was built but I cannot imagine there are no supporting pillars or walls beneath the slabs as they would have sagged or moved along time ago without something supporting them other than soil. 

With the thickness of the concrete and lack of re-bar there must be something other than soil holding that span of concrete up??

 

The pictures you posted on Sunday don't appear to show any supporting pillars or walls in the area of the collapse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, aspenarb said:

:egg:`s , a man in the pub reckoned the damage was caused by some confused Irish muslims in a boat, something to do with fasting iirc :dontknow:

 

Bob

Bloody foreigners coming over here ruining the cut.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

The pictures you posted on Sunday don't appear to show any supporting pillars or walls in the area of the collapse.

I cannot find any decent pictures of supports but this one may show something ??

 

 

walls.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a vaguely connected thought since we’re on the subject of water. If we as a country didn’t use seven litres of drinking water to flush a quarter litre of piss away ten times a day, perhaps we wouldn’t need to store so much water.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, AHPP said:

Just a vaguely connected thought since we’re on the subject of water. If we as a country didn’t use seven litres of drinking water to flush a quarter litre of piss away ten times a day, perhaps we wouldn’t need to store so much water.

They think the stuff is on tap.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, AHPP said:

Just a vaguely connected thought since we’re on the subject of water. If we as a country didn’t use seven litres of drinking water to flush a quarter litre of piss away ten times a day, perhaps we wouldn’t need to store so much water.

Eggs will prob know if its true but when I was laying drainage a few years ago I was told due to minimum fall levels n that...that pipes full of turds and wet wipes need the piss water to help move em along ...if you just flushed the solids and there was no rain then you may get problems? Also the water must dilute the raw sewage flowing around the system and help control gases and smells? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Woodlover said:

Eggs will prob know if its true but when I was laying drainage a few years ago I was told due to minimum fall levels n that...that pipes full of turds and wet wipes need the piss water to help move em along ...if you just flushed the solids and there was no rain then you may get problems? Also the water must dilute the raw sewage flowing around the system and help control gases and smells? 

A 4"/110mm drain needs a fall of 1' in 40' to self cleanse, old fashioned toilet cisterns were a three gallon flush, way over the top. The new dual flush cisterns are over used on the short flush and don't provide enough water for the drain to clear, this is overcome by most folk showering each day and using washing machines/ dishwashers on a daily basis.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What I trying to say in my earlier post, re the concrete being the problem, was that the concrete on the surface prevented the erosion beneath being seen, though walking the slabs and thumping them with sommat solid should have detected their "boastness", plus the forward slope of the earthen dam would probably have been stabilized by the grass roots, and again without the concrete, any untoward erosion would have been noticed.

BUT, these issues should? have been considered when the dam face was concreted 50 years ago, but possibly were not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Featured Adverts

About

Arbtalk.co.uk is a hub for the arboriculture industry in the UK.  
If you're just starting out and you need business, equipment, tech or training support you're in the right place.  If you've done it, made it, got a van load of oily t-shirts and have decided to give something back by sharing your knowledge or wisdom,  then you're welcome too.
If you would like to contribute to making this industry more effective and safe then welcome.
Just like a living tree, it'll always be a work in progress.
Please have a look around, sign up, share and contribute the best you have.

See you inside.

The Arbtalk Team

Follow us

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.