eggsarascal

Whaley Bridge Evacuated

7 minutes ago, EdwardC said:

But that's not the catchment area, which maybe several square miles. Or in EU money, dozens of square kilometres.

Ok, a quick Google has revealed that the catchment area for Toddbrook Reservoir is 17 million square metres. Or in JRM money 4,200 acres.

Rather than trying to sound clever Google why the reservoir was allowed to overtop threatening thousands of homes.

Your infatuation with hating Tories out does mine, that really does  take some doing.

56 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

If they could discharge the water using pumps "going full blast" why couldn't they have started draining earlier?, we've already established the Goyt had only just gone into flood, please don't try to tell me the runoff from the previous downpour had subsided before they started pumping.

I can’t believe you don’t get this! I don’t know the reservoir or the way that it discharges to the canal network. I’m sure we are in agreement that you cannot pump the water out of the reservoir into the canal network. 

In order to empty the reservoir they had to bring in emergency pumps from the emergency services. That would appear to confirm in my mind that once the water is impounded into the reservoir there is no means of getting it back out. There is no drain/pump system to the goyt otherwise surely they would have used it! 

It seems entirely logical to me that there should have been a direct discharge pipe or pipes from the reservoir to the goyt. Open the gates and let it drain, just like pulling the plug on your bath. 

So to drain it earlier, you have to commandeer the local sports ground, mobilise the emergency services, and do all of the stuff they have had to do since the spillway failed, all on the basis that they might get 100mm of rain in August! 

Im happy to be corrected on this but everything I’ve seen and read so far gives a clear indication in my mind that once the water is in the reservoir, the only way it’s coming out when it’s below the spillway, is via the outflow to the canal system. But for 180 years it’s not needed a direct flow to the goyt. 

But because the spillway failed and potentially the bank below the spillway was eroded or compromised, they had to pump the water out (currently less than 15% full I believe now) because if the bank behind/below the spillway collapsed then the whole reservoir was going to discharge into Whaley Bridge

any solution they come up with for the future surely has to include a means of draining it to the goyt without having to bring in all those pumps 

18 minutes ago, EdwardC said:

But that's not the catchment area, which may be several square miles. Or in EU money, dozens of square kilometres.

Ok, a quick Google has revealed that the catchment area for Toddbrook Reservoir is 17 million square metres. Or in JRM money 4,200 acres.

Absolutely right, and you have forgotten the underground streams and aquifers that also contributed to the local area being overwhelmed with water. 

The fact is, that 100mm of rain in August would not have come close to breaching it. 100mm in a week might have started to get harder. 100mm in a few hours, across the whole catchment, all being funnelled into one single location, a giant bath with no plug and only an overflow to protect it 

24 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

Your infatuation with hating Tories out does mine, that really does  take some doing.

I'm not infatuated with Tories, nor do I hate them. I just strongly disagree with their politics and do my bit to try and get them out of power.

39 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

Rather than trying to sound clever Google why the reservoir was allowed to overtop threatening thousands of homes.

Not a lot comes up. But it wasn't the overtopping per-se that threatened the people of Whalley Bridge. 

Anyway, I would suggest that you cannot, as a government, palm-off national infrastructure to a charity. The sole purpose of this was to have national infrastructure on the cheap. Was it ever going to work. Of course not.

If I get chance next week I'll have a chat with the civil engineers at work and get their take on it.

8 hours ago, Chalgravesteve said:

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. But they could have cleaned and polished that spillway and brought it caked for its birthday but in that extreme circumstance it might still have failed.

In extreme circumstances I believe it could have always failed after say 20 years ,and with the little maintenance it has obviously received shows a lack of responsibility and knowledge IMO.

Built correctly and for the full purpose instead as I strongly believe a simple Cap to just stop soil being washed away then yes you are right, but it was not built to withstand a torrent of water it was built to simply stop soil being washed away for the very near future back then...It was a simple short term cap ...by not realising it would fail in time then they now have failed in their responsibility to carry out adequate risk assessment's. Climate change has been shoved down our necks for years , that post I did of the years with flooding shows it is a real possibility anywhere in the UK in any one year so to keep this Dam full is or should be a risk, no hindsight needed just common sense. 

Edited by Woodlover
proberbly beer related

So maybe they should of repointed the slipway slab joints with some Non-shrink cementitious grout for underwater installation conforming to the requirements of BS EN 1504-3 Class R4?

https://www.arconsupplies.co.uk/uploads/pdfs/conbextra_uw_tds.pdf

Instead of having trees sprouting between slabs...

Also why does the slipway get narrower instead of wider or straight down  on the side it failed? Shouldn't it be the other way round?

_108189345_googlegrab.jpg

So maybe they should of repointed the slipway slab joints with some Non-shrink cementitious grout for underwater installation conforming to the requirements of BS EN 1504-3 Class R4?

https://www.arconsupplies.co.uk/uploads/pdfs/conbextra_uw_tds.pdf

Instead of having trees sprouting between slabs...

Also why does the slipway get narrower instead of wider or straight down  on the side it failed? Shouldn't it be the other way round?

_108189345_googlegrab.jpg

Would aid in directing the water away i would guess 🤷‍♂️ i.e the overflow/slipways direction of course would run from right to left in the picture.

9 minutes ago, Stere said:

and while we are on that subject; what was there before this spillway was made?

• Like 2

and while we are on that subject; what was there before this spillway was made?

Nice question OSM was the spillway constructed at the same time as the reservoir was formed?