Aspen vs unleaded

Jack.P

As highly as I rate aspen the weekly running cost will be too much for some heavy saw jobs I have looked at .the cutters had never even heard of the stuff and almost fell over when I said nearly 20quid a gallon.not sure if I will take the job knowing that I can’t stand unleaded 

Yeah pump stuff smells like a bonfire.i’ve seen I can get 270L for £15.60 for each 5L can.its tempting but don’t really want to buy more than 20 cans a time.

I guess I will also be comparing fuel usage in different saw models .one of the workers said they use 4L a day which seemed alot

4L a day is some heavy saw use?
I moved to aspen and recently did my 30/31 course using their saw for the first days cutting and forgot how much i prefer Aspen, went back to my saw the next day.
Work out how much fuel you use a week/month then you can get a true cost comparison and see how many less coffees a day would cover the difference

• Like 1

On 23/10/2019 at 12:30, Jack.P said:

As highly as I rate aspen the weekly running cost will be too much for some heavy saw jobs I have looked at .the cutters had never even heard of the stuff and almost fell over when I said nearly 20quid a gallon.not sure if I will take the job knowing that I can’t stand unleaded 

Its not for me to pass comment on your finances and profitability Jack, but even if you used 5 litres a day, every day of a 5 day week your total Aspen bill would be £100, against about £40 for petrol/oil. So in reality you will be worse off by only £60. O.k, I realise £60 is a lot of money, but I can be certain that you will feel better and less tired at the end of each day without breathing petrol fumes and your work rate in the afternoon may well increase. An afternoon of increased output could easily cover the £60 and put some more in your pocket too.

Food for thought?

Edited by GardenKit
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Jack.P said:

Yeah pump stuff smells like a bonfire.i’ve seen I can get 270L for £15.60 for each 5L can.its tempting but don’t really want to buy more than 20 cans a time.

I guess I will also be comparing fuel usage in different saw models .one of the workers said they use 4L a day which seemed alot

Hi Jack,

IMO the best way of working out how much you will spend on Aspen over a period of time is to bulk buy 20 cans to begin with and see how long it lasts. we find that most people we talk to overestimate there usage quite dramatically and end up thinking Aspen is not going to be viable for them when in reality it makes total sense. 

• 2 months later...
On 30/08/2019 at 14:32, Sawchip said:

I can throw some light on both Makita MM4 engines and using aspen 4 in them.

I personally have a MM4 powered blower that I run on Aspen 4  that is used anything between ..1 and 3hrs a week depending on the time of yr as well as using it as a workshop /yard blower. The MM4 engines are by no means a heavy or underpowered alternative to a 2 stroke version and there fuel economy is better. This has a cost benefit when using aspen 4 due to using less fuel overall. 

I have several other customers who use the Makita /Dolmar   MM4 motors on blowers and brush cutters. They say that they are more than happy with the weight, power and torque from these motors along with the lack of exhaust fumes plus the fuel economy obtained.  

Hi Sawchip, any experience of the 43cc Makita MM4 brushcutter? Wondering if it’s up to brambles and rushes? Thx Craig

1 hour ago, Commando said:

Hi Sawchip, any experience of the 43cc Makita MM4 brushcutter? Wondering if it’s up to brambles and rushes? Thx Craig

Hi Craig.

Not the Makita 43cc MM4 directly but I have a customer with the next one down in the MM4 range ..Dolmar MS3354U..34cc brush cutter. ...see pic. 

A very decent machine with way more grunt than you would think . The Makita 43cc (Dolmar MS4304U) machine has better anti vibe and more power so if you find the extra cash involved no issue then you could do a lot worse than the bigger CC machine . 

Photo1331.thumb.jpg.e27e1490c79df4f9150abb95eedeb5b9.jpg

Edited by Sawchip
  • Like 1