Aspen vs unleaded

Jack.P

On ‎18‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 20:40, GardenKit said:

I am still a little confused as to what Motomix actually is. The UK Stihl website is vague and only describes it as an ethanol free unleaded petrol that is premixed and will stay fresh for 5 years.

Thats fair enough, but nowhere does it mention that the fuel is an alkylate (except on the Californian spec), and if this is so then the fuel still contains solvents, benzene and sulphur, as well as many other nasty chemicals. The UK still site does say that Motomix varies according to the market country.

If this is true Motomix is every bit as bad for health as standard petrol, and also massively overpriced.

Can anybody enlighten me on what Motomix really is?

Reading all the specs there's no mention of alkylate at all for Stihl MotoMix, it says it's a fully synthetic fuel.  On the other hand, their MotoPlus (straight fuel) does mention alkylate.   

Just a follow up on this; I was with him today cutting his firewood as his poor sense of balance means he won't use a chainsaw.  He says his surgeon thinks there is a slight possibility of a link between nasal/throat cancer and the use of petrol hedge trimmers but the corpus of patients is small so difficult to be sure.

Thanks for this, this is exactly the kind of thing I was thinking of.

I knew MDF dust was dangerous but not really other sawdust?

On 20/08/2019 at 19:16, Dan Maynard said:

I absolutely respect anybody's choice to use Aspen, for me at the moment cost and the thought of stripping all the carbs is putting me off changing. I guess if I seriously thought the pump fuel was going to give me cancer I would change tomorrow, same as I don't smoke, so its an important question. Bacon, toast, pvc are carcinogenic but we tolerate those risks.

What I am trying to do is scratch the surface of the manufacturers claims and see what evidence is there. My dad worked with asbestos as a marine engineer, his lungs aren't great but the guys who were pipe laggers working full time with the stuff died young. Likewise miners lung was terrible, none made old age.

The reason I mentioned smoking is that a good proportion of the working population would have smoked at work so it may be difficult to point at exactly what caused any lung problems which now exist, if the benzene risk is low then it may be masked. Even smoking was argued about a great deal before mainstream acceptance that it was harmful, not sure where we are with benzene.

Ideally perhaps we could check this out in medical journals but just thought we might have enough people on here who are or know old cutters that could share experiences.

Hi Dan,

Don't let the cost of potentially replacing a few components in fuel systems put you off switching to Aspen as the chances are most will be fine anyway and require nothing changing. If any bits need changing after switching to Aspen it is very likely that these parts were about to fail anyway so in reality all you are doing is servicing them a little bit sooner. One of the biggest Arb companies in the UK with 100's of equipment recently switched without any reports of any problems.

Benzene emissions from chainsaws causing cancer is not something which Aspen has come up with, this is scientific fact and is the reason that Aspen as a company exists! There are European rules which aim to reduce workers exposure to carcinogenic substances and this includes benzene in pump fuel. Whilst there may not be people from HSE going round and checking 

This thread has derailed slightly by some anti-aspen members who appear to pick faults at a product which improves the working conditions and lives of so many. Aspen might not be for everyone but there are a lot of people on this forum who seem to want to do their best to stop others from trying it and seeing the benefits first hand.

There was a time when Smoking was seen to be good for your health but this seems crazy now! Most people don't realise how bad the exhaust fumes from a chainsaw are as they get so used to the smell but just like the person who originally started this thread, once they have tried Aspen for some time and then go back to petrol, it is easy to see just how bad it is. 

If you have thought about trying Aspen fuel for any of the benefits it offers, all i can recommend is that you give it a try. By this i don't mean to go out and buy a 5L can if you consume 10L a week in your business, but try it for 3 months and then decide based on your own experiences. Worst case you don't see the benefits it brings to your business but you can always switch back and this way you have given it a go and at worst its cost you a small amount of money. 

• Like 5

Actually - if yr moving large volumes of bio chip with its attendant mycelium fungal spores - smoking roll ups is good fr you as nicotine is a proven fungicide, mate n I were doing it fr 18 months ( I smoked n he did not ) his chest was terrible ! K