Aspen vs unleaded

Jack.P

Just now, Mick Dempsey said:

Might be better for you, but I have quite a few saws/strimmers/blowers running for decades on regular fuel without any problems.

Like I said . If it was not here we would all be doing what you are . I have been the same . Been using pump fuel for years with no apparent problems but I know its better for me and I know its better for the machiene . Strip a saw that has been using Aspen from the get go and inside its clean as a whistle . Practically zero carbon build up . Strip a saw that has run on pump fuel all its life and its a different story .  ...Not saying your lungs have carbon build up but there must be some advantages ..

Course there are advantages, you don’t have to worry about spending your money on, cos you won’t have any!

But seriously I have a 288 run on pump fuel for 20 years, don’t use it much these days of course,  though it cuts like a demon, who cares about carbon build up? Thing has paid for itself many times over.

Edited by Mick Dempsey
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Course there are advantages, you don’t have to worry about spending your money on, cos you won’t have any!

But seriously I have a 288 run on pump fuel for 20 years, don’t use it much these days of course,  who cares about carbon build up? Thing has paid for itself many times over.

Fair play mick .Each to his own . Do you remember black and whit TV , 405 lines ? some great programs ?

18 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Fair play mick .Each to his own . Do you remember black and whit TV , 405 lines ? some great programs ?

Specially the Clangers - didn't realise they filmed it in color til 30yrs latr when I bought the Dvd ! Was like being on drugs! K

• Haha 2

I absolutely respect anybody's choice to use Aspen, for me at the moment cost and the thought of stripping all the carbs is putting me off changing. I guess if I seriously thought the pump fuel was going to give me cancer I would change tomorrow, same as I don't smoke, so its an important question. Bacon, toast, pvc are carcinogenic but we tolerate those risks.

What I am trying to do is scratch the surface of the manufacturers claims and see what evidence is there. My dad worked with asbestos as a marine engineer, his lungs aren't great but the guys who were pipe laggers working full time with the stuff died young. Likewise miners lung was terrible, none made old age.

The reason I mentioned smoking is that a good proportion of the working population would have smoked at work so it may be difficult to point at exactly what caused any lung problems which now exist, if the benzene risk is low then it may be masked. Even smoking was argued about a great deal before mainstream acceptance that it was harmful, not sure where we are with benzene.

Ideally perhaps we could check this out in medical journals but just thought we might have enough people on here who are or know old cutters that could share experiences.

33 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Ha.

Not against it, I bought 10 litres for my little Echo, but then we’d forget it, so it just became for emergencies.

Anyway, point I’m making, if there is one, is that saying that a mid range saw (for instance) will last longer if you use alkalyte is rather negated if you’ve spent more than the cost of a new saw in two years of use.

Edited by Mick Dempsey
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Ha.

Not against it, I bought 10 litres for my little Echo, but then we’d forget it, so it just became for emergencies.

Anyway, point I’m making, if there is one, is that saying that a mid range saw (for instance) will last longer if you use alkalyte is rather negated if you’ve spent more than the cost of a new saw in two years of use.

Yep I see that . My mate wont sharpen an 020/200 chain coz the down time lost cutting is more than the cost of a new chain .  Thing is , about your point , you just might be in better health in those 2 years to keep on using that saw ...

2 hours ago, Dan Maynard said:

I was thinking this, probably forestry cutters most at risk due to constant exposure? Are there any stats or were they all smoking rollups anyway so difficult to isolate a cause of lung damage?

I haven't seen anything relating to inhalation of particulates specific to forestry workers. There is an acknowledged link between inhaling wood or leather dust and nasal/sinus cancer.

My felling partner had a tumour removed from the back of his nose, the surgeon says it was likely from 2t fumes but as his dad was a carpenter I'd say the link was more likely wood dust.

Two of the 10 or so timber buyers I sold to died of throat cancer.

The link is also established with Human Papiloma virus, so don't pick your nose with warty fingers or stick your nose in warty fannies.

• Haha 1