Aspen vs unleaded

Jack.P

On 12/08/2019 at 17:34, Aspen@AAOIL said:

Great to see so many good posts in this thread, i hope it encourages some of the people who are still sitting on the fence to go out and give Aspen a try.

Regular petrol really is nasty stuff ☠️? and the UK Arb/forestry industry hasn't done enough to educate workers about this up to now. Luckily more and more businesses are seeing the benefits and making the switch. 

I have a meeting with the treasury at the end of this month with the aim of reducing/removing the road fuel duty on Aspen fuel, there are some great quotes i will likely use from posts within this thread in my presentation! fingers crossed!

Please keep us up to date on this

Edited by carpenter1

12 hours ago, IronMike said:

Back on topic.... 

I was chatting to a dealer locally about Aspen/2 stroke/Motomix etc. He can do me a 55l drum of Stihl Motomix for £150+vat which seems very reasonable to me. So I might be migrating back from 2 stroke, but just not to Aspen! 

I am still a little confused as to what Motomix actually is. The UK Stihl website is vague and only describes it as an ethanol free unleaded petrol that is premixed and will stay fresh for 5 years.

Thats fair enough, but nowhere does it mention that the fuel is an alkylate (except on the Californian spec), and if this is so then the fuel still contains solvents, benzene and sulphur, as well as many other nasty chemicals. The UK still site does say that Motomix varies according to the market country.

If this is true Motomix is every bit as bad for health as standard petrol, and also massively overpriced.

Can anybody enlighten me on what Motomix really is?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, GardenKit said:

I am still a little confused as to what Motomix actually is. The UK Stihl website is vague and only describes it as an ethanol free unleaded petrol that is premixed and will stay fresh for 5 years.

Thats fair enough, but nowhere does it mention that the fuel is an alkylate (except on the Californian spec), and if this is so then the fuel still contains solvents, benzene and sulphur, as well as many other nasty chemicals. The UK still site does say that Motomix varies according to the market country.

If this is true Motomix is every bit as bad for health as standard petrol, and also massively overpriced.

Can anybody enlighten me on what Motomix really is?

The safety data sheets look similar, with Aspen 2 showing Benzene level lower than 0,1 % and MotoMix showing Benzene < 0.05 percentage by volume, pump fuel would be much higher wouldn't it? MotoMix is mostly "Naphtha (petroleum), full-range alkylate,butane-contg." and Aspen "Naphtha (petroleum), full-range alkylate, butane-contg" which looks the same to me?

WWW.STIHL.CO.UK

STIHL - Information all about the STIHL Group and our extensive product range.
ASPENFUEL.CO.UK

Aspen Fuel is a leading UK distributor of Aspen Products including Aspen 2 stroke fuel, Aspen 4 stroke fuel and...

• Like 1

Its all very well paying over the odds for fuel marketed as producing less toxic fumes, but if the operatives other lifestyle choices put them in geat danger - what's the point? I mean things like: too much sugar, 170mph , unprotected sex with strangers, or even visting a relative in a country with an ebola outbreak

Edited by tree-fancier123
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, Paul in the woods said:

The safety data sheets look similar, with Aspen 2 showing Benzene level lower than 0,1 % and MotoMix showing Benzene < 0.05 percentage by volume, pump fuel would be much higher wouldn't it? MotoMix is mostly "Naphtha (petroleum), full-range alkylate,butane-contg." and Aspen "Naphtha (petroleum), full-range alkylate, butane-contg" which looks the same to me?

WWW.STIHL.CO.UK

STIHL - Information all about the STIHL Group and our extensive product range.
ASPENFUEL.CO.UK

Aspen Fuel is a leading UK distributor of Aspen Products including Aspen 2 stroke fuel, Aspen 4 stroke fuel and...

Thank you for finding that information Paul, I should probably have delved a little deeper myself!