Chipper project

owain038

Hi all, just after picking up my first chipper. It's a Negri R250 powered by a 20hp petrol v-twin Honda engine, with a single hydraulic feed wheel. I took a bit of a risk buying it and yet to see whether it was worth it. Fired right up and reved up nicely. Right time to engage the feed roller and get to work! Alas, once a load was fed it, it seemed like the clutch wouldn't engage and the revs died and the brash was now stuck in the chipper feed wheel [emoji849] freed it up and decided to do a quick bit of general investigation before it got dark.

The "recently replaced belts" is a relatively term I guess [emoji849] The pulley on the engine was also extremely hot after a minute or two running, is this normal?

Plan to change the belts and maybe the pulley bearings while I'm there.

Any mechanical tips appreciated as I'm new to the repair side of chippers!

d936e4e3797e9d33ab5eb53d7220f2bf.jpgaba50771079d7785c3f38833103145c4.jpg2ba5a9c50428c8538982d96eb2273d72.jpg

Looks like new belts are required. Those are shot. Suspect the heat is from the belts slipping. I would change belts and tension so belts can be rotated to 90 deg. Then try it.
Two new belts just ordered [emoji106] plan on stripping it down further tomorrow as apparently the "blades were sharpened recently" aswell [emoji849] hopefully should be working well by the end.
May even look into mounting it on a small tracked dumper base down the line rather than the trailer unit.
Thanks

Tightened up the belts and gave it a test run. Ran much better than before, as above it doesn't seem to have a no stress, however it's not too difficult to manage the speed yourself, just a little more inconvenient.
Gave it a test of some grey Willow, while it managed okay it produced some longer chips. I then tried some Griselinia hedging which it managed much better and chipped much nicer. I'm also very happy with the quality of the chipping/shreddings which I'm guessing is due to the combination of blades and hammers?
It's tough to remember it's not a timberwolf and you can't just feed it infinitely, but I feel it will be handy.
(I left the covers off to inspect any potential first use issues; found a fuel hose which I'm presuming to be the vent leaking so maybe the float is stuck will require some investigating.)ef7072673fccbaf653652ade6f4e684a.jpg31aed164117ce406f0324dcdc5104970.jpg31af3ad1f6d556311dd2f28c715299f0.jpg

• Like 1

Oh Blimey! I would check that the controls satisfy the H and S E regs before you spend any more on it. I'm not sure it does! Kilworth machinery are the current importers and may be able to help.

Oh Blimey! I would check that the controls satisfy the H and S E regs before you spend any more on it. I'm not sure it does! Kilworth machinery are the current importers and may be able to help.
This is only used on my own property for clearing, won't be used for work [emoji106]

7 minutes ago, owain038 said:

This is only used on my own property for clearing, won't be used for work emoji106.png

Many wished life was as easy and simple as that. I get where you are coming from but.....you don't grow back from an injury with this kit!

Many wished life was as easy and simple as that. I get where you are coming from but.....you don't grow back from an injury with this kit!
That's true... To be honest if I end up using it alot I'll probably sell it on and pick up a cs100 or similar, the smaller form factor is attractive. Appreciate the concern [emoji106]