Echo CS 501SX

BobbyDee

Help please.

My Echo CS 501SX is an absolute pig to start from time to time. I cannot rely on it as it is inconsistent...eg  fired up 3rd pull yesterday and I used it without any problems whatsoever for 3 hours. Today it just will not start and I've been using my CS 620SX instead which has never had any issues at all other than it gets a bit heavy for me for continuous use. My 501 has been like this for some years but because it is inconsistent -  finding a fix is virtually impossible as it always behaves when examined by professionals. Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Edited by BobbyDee
spelling

9 minutes ago, BobbyDee said:

Help please.

My Echo CS 501SX is an absolute pig to start from time-time. I cannot rely on it as it is inconsistent...eg  fired up 3rd pull yesterday and I used it without any problems whatsoever for 3 hours. Today it just will not start and I've been using my CS 620SX instead which has never had any issues at all other than it gets a bit heavy for me for continuous use. My 501 has been like this for some years but because it is inconsistent -  finding a fix is virtually impossible as it always behaves when examined by professionals. Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Does it only happen in very hot weather ? If so could be vapour lock .

56 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Does it only happen in very hot weather ? If so could be vapour lock .

Could well be only during hot weather, which makes it worse, as to say I get a bit sweaty when fighting this saw would be an understatement. I'm gonna have to show my ignorance here - what's a vapour lock and how do I avoid or remedy it? (thanks for responding by the way)

I've noticed my 501 builds pressure in the fuel tank on warm weather.. it may lead to pressure passing through the fuel lines and vapour getting into the carb. Releasing the fuel cap after use and before starting may help. My 501 has been faultless so far and is very easily started so it's just an observation I've made when refuelling and may not be related to your issue Maybe this will help, maybe not..

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BobbyDee said:

Could well be only during hot weather, which makes it worse, as to say I get a bit sweaty when fighting this saw would be an understatement. I'm gonna have to show my ignorance here - what's a vapour lock and how do I avoid or remedy it? (thanks for responding by the way)

14 minutes ago, BobbyDee said:

Its when the liquid fuel vaporizes into a gas when still in the fuel pipe .

It sounds like a carb tuning issue. Echo's can be fairly lean from the dealer sometimes.

But removing the baffle tube from the exhaust - it simply unbolts from the muffler outlet and slides right out, might help a bit too as it's rather restrictive on that model.

If you have an Echo chainsaw, you should also own a double 'd' tuning screwdriver to tune the carbs with. Bear in mind the Walbros on Echos tend to be sensitive to tuning, turn the driver in small increments and test the throttle and the saws response.

Opening the fuel tank in hot weather if a saw has been sitting helps on most any saw. Take the opportunity to top it off, as this will also cool the fuel in it. Er, unless you leave your fuel in the sun...which I don't suggest you do.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...