Ethomix fuel additive

Tom Bullman (Tomit)

I have been using decent fuel and decent oil carefully mixed and never had a problem. Literally no-carb issues ever. I did buy some ethanol protector when I read about everyone getting their knickers in a twist over ethanol but it's still sitting on the shelf.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Woodworks said:

I have been using decent fuel and decent oil carefully mixed and never had a problem. Literally no-carb issues ever. I did buy some ethanol protector when I read about everyone getting their knickers in a twist over ethanol but it's still sitting on the shelf.

If you lived in the USA all your small engines would be Fecked by now .

1 hour ago, Stubby said:

If you lived in the USA all your small engines would be Fecked by now .

That may be the case but I don't and by the looks of it, Tom doesn't either. In all seriousness, the aim of advertising for many things is to make you insecure about what you are doing now and then sell you a solution and this seems to be a case in point.

Edited by Woodworks
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Woodworks said:

That may be the case but I don't and by the looks of it, Tom doesn't either. In all seriousness, the aim of advertising for many things is to make you insecure about what you are doing now and then sell you a solution and this seems to be a case in point.

Understood but,  things are not as they were when there was not a problem . I am all for don't fix what aint broke but it is well documented and proven what the recent addition of ethanol to pump fuel  can do . Not so much over here as its only up to 10% I believe but should that increase there will be problems .   There was a case a few years back when the release of a new model of Ducati  ( 998 I think ) had to be delayed as the inside of the fuel tank was found to be dissolving due to the ethanol content of fuel being used .  Each to his own . ?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Dan Maynard said:

I'm pretty sceptical, fuel additive products come and go and always claim to be essential and give lower emissions, better starting etc.

If you want fuel stabilization then use Stihl Ultra 2 stroke oil in super unleaded, or use Aspen/Motomix. This is taken from the Frost website:

Will the Ethomix additive, when added to pump petrol, counteract all the problems Ethanol blended fuels will cause to Classic Cars?

We think we have a pretty good product, but regrettably it will not cure all the ethanol issues.

Why would you suggest Super Unleaded?

10 minutes ago, Joe Newton said:

Why would you suggest Super Unleaded?

Super un leaded is only of any benefit in high comp engines . It actually burns slower than ordinary un leaded . It is to prevent " knock " on hi comp ignition advance 4 strokes really .

• Like 1

Super un leaded is only of any benefit in high comp engines . It actually burns slower than ordinary un leaded . It is to prevent " knock " on hi comp ignition advance 4 strokes really .
Admittedly it's a couple of years since I read up but it used to have lower ethanol content and better detergent package. This is based on Esso and Shell websites, I stick to branded rather than supermarket.

Maybe worth trying to read up again given the current discussion.
  • Like 1

It's simple....ethanol has an affinity for water...the atmosphere contains water....the tank breather lets air/moisture in as the fuel gets used.....the ethanol takes up the moisture and you've got water in your fuel !

There is zero doubt about this, so why the debate ?

• Like 1