Stuff your old boss did/said..

Mick Dempsey

My first boss in this industry was old school to say the least, he didn’t like me, I didn’t like him.

But for a full year we tolerated each other because it served us both, for him, he got another younger pair of hands who had a licence, thus enabling his first climber (who always lost his licence fairly soon after regaining it due to his unabashed alcoholism) to get to the job.

For me it was a year to learn as much as possible, about how to plan and execute a job and get as much time in the harness as I could.

There was the odd laugh and sayings that stick with me nearly 25 years later and 12 years after his death.

1: On seeing a transvestite on a zebra crossing “look at that! Amazing the things you see when you haven’t got your gun”

2: Discussing a lazy ex-employee “I overheard him in the pub saying he used to work for me,  I have to say, I never caught him at it”

(This last one was actually the lead climber 55 years old, divorced, alcoholic with emphysema and living in a bedsit using his bath as a sink.

3: Driving the van in Dulwich I saw a remarkably fat ugly woman pushing a pushchair with a baby inside and a toddler walking alongside, I said “I can’t believe someone’s actually shagged that!”

John looked up from his Express crossword, gives her a momentary glance, looks back down at the crossword and says “looks like someone shagged her twice”

Tales of your old bosses please, no matter the job.

Edited by Mick Dempsey
  • Like 5
  • Haha 4

I used to work for an incredibly straight laced, shave every day, kinda guy.

One time a job had to be delayed due to the presence of a very large (and obviously quite amorous) shire type horse in the field where we were supposed to be installing some post a rail.

Upon relaying the days events back at the yard. He made everyone choke on their brew by asking "how many hands was it?"

Was the sheer surprise of it coming from him.

1 hour ago, Luckyeleven said:

I used to work for an incredibly straight laced, shave every day, kinda guy.

One time a job had to be delayed due to the presence of a very large (and obviously quite amorous) shire type horse in the field where we were supposed to be installing some post a rail.

Upon relaying the days events back at the yard. He made everyone choke on their brew by asking "how many hands was it?"

Was the sheer surprise of it coming from him.

Not sure I understand, did you all have to wank it off or something?

Edited by Mick Dempsey
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7

Just now, Tree Man Tom said:

Whilst watching the new groundsman rake 'look at e, scratching around like a f***ing chicken"

"Under every pony tale lies an arse hole"

I'm sure there is more, we used to have a right laugh il remember them later on.

Love it! Exactly what we’re after.

One of my first bosses(norfolk) used to smoke superkings like they were going out of fashion,he was stick thin and aged around 50 but boy he could climb..others climbing on 5 ply rope with stihl 020 AV saws wearing jeans..i got caught reading one 70 yr old irish boss's new daily newspaper before he had read it and he nearly sacked me..that guy actually pulled my rope into a tree as i was descending and i whacked my foot so hard against the trunk i ended up limping to A&E..there are other old school boss's who i seem to respect more as time goes on and even have fond memories!!..seeing as the recent flock of millenials seem so shy of hard work.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, hazelnut said:

One of my first bosses(norfolk) used to smoke superkings like they were going out of fashion,he was stick thin and aged around 50 but boy he could climb..others climbing on 5 ply rope with stihl 020 AV saws wearing jeans..i got caught reading one 70 yr old irish boss's new daily newspaper before he had read it and he nearly sacked me..that guy actually pulled my rope into a tree as i was descending and i whacked my foot so hard against the trunk i ended up limping to A&E..there are other old school boss's who i seem to respect more as time goes on and even have fond memories!!..seeing as the recent flock of millenials seem so shy of hard work.

For all the moans I have about my old boss, he never endangered me.

He did bore the tits off me repeating the same old stories ending with an explanation about how he was right and everyone else was wrong, A tradition I try to continue with the lucky sorts who work with me.

Strangely they seem to make every effort to avoid travelling to the job with me and  squeeze in the chip truck together no matter how much I assure them of how much they’ll learn listening to me talking about myself.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Mick Dempsey said:

For all the moans I have about my old boss, he never endangered me.

He did bore the tits off me repeating the same old stories ending with an explanation about how he was right and everyone else was wrong, A tradition I try to continue with the lucky sorts who work with me.

Strangely they seem to make every effort to avoid travelling to the job with me and  squeeze in the chip truck together no matter how much I assure them of how much they’ll learn listening to me talking about myself.

Are you using the wrong toothpaste   perhaps  Mick ?

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 1