Which Top Handle Chainsaw?

Jamie Jones

Which Top Handle Saw would be your Chainsaw of choice?

a) Stihl MS 201 TC-M Top Handle Chainsaw 35.2cc, with a 14" Bar & 3/8 Chain (Most Expensive)

b) Echo CS-360TES Top Handle Chainsaw 35.8cc, with a 14" Bar & 3/8 Chain (Mid Expensive)

c) Dolmar PS311TB30 (Makita EA3100T30B) 31cc, with a  14" Bar & 3/8 Chain (Least Expensive but still a quality chainsaw)

d) Husqvarna T540XP II Top Handle Chainsaw 37.7cc, with a  14" Bar & 3/8 Chain (2nd Most Expensive)

I am a big fan of the Dolmar owing a 7910 80cc & 6100 60cc Chainsaws.... Plus I also own a couple of Stihl's (MS211 & MS251) and an Echo CS-2511TES 25cc, with a  10" Bar & 3/8 Chain. All though I haven't really got along with Husqvarna saws in the past.

I have a 200 and an echo 360. Echo is good, not as exciting as the stihl but not too far off the mark. 4 years of trouble free use.

If you have the 2511, i wouldn't bother with the 30cc nakita/ dolmar it wont be enough of a step up to bother with. Wasnt that impressed with either the EA3100T30B or the ps3410 top handle offerings. But youd get by.

The Dolmar would be my least favourite, it’s a poor design imo and having had a dolmar for five years it’s gone pop twice and that’s on Aspen fuel !

Stihl then husky then Echo
I wouldnt right off all of their saws as you had a lemon. Saying that must be annoying for you. But plenty folk have had bother with stihl and huskies 50/60cc saws too.

What model went pop ian?
  • Like 1

I have a t540 mk1 I think it’s a good saw but it does need choke a lot as I find it cools down very quick. Which can get a bit annoying sometimes.

I’ve used the 201tcm and would say it’s probably a bit better than my 540 but not by massive amounts.