Towable self powered firewood processor

deitwm01

14 minutes ago, deitwm01 said:

Is that the wp36? Cant find much info on that either, any decent videos? Its only got a 13hp engine i think ? Where as the jappa has the 20 hp one

Yes, it's the WP36. Lots of chat on here about them so worth a search. This is ours on some softwood but in all honesty, most processors look good on wood like this it dealing with twisty awkward stuff that is the deal-breaker. I did see the new Japa at a show and it looks well built but very heavy. This is relevant when you are setting up on a less than flat site and you have to manhandle it into situ. Many of my jobs involve this kind of thing. I went for the Farmi as the log lifter is excellent and the ease of which you can use the splitter separately. So many jobs I get there are some oversize wood to chainsaw into rings and then put them through the splitter. The splitter can handle 18 rings okay  

4 minutes ago, deitwm01 said:

Looks spot on for the job, does it ever struggle with the bigger wood?

It's pretty good. What it will sometimes struggle with are very dry rings. Had a job the other day and had quite a few refusals right at the start with some wood that had baked in the sun but once into the stack had no problems whatsoever even though it was gnarly hedgerow wood. Most jobs I can go and leave nothing unsplit but I will chop awkward-looking stuff down with a chainsaw to more manageable pieces if I see the need.

5 minutes ago, deitwm01 said:

previously used the hakki pilke hawk and that also had a 13hp engine, very dissapointed in its capabilities, not enough power at all, would you say the wp36 is similar?

Not used the Hakki and more power is always nice but it comes at a cost. You would need a bigger more thirst engine and more fuel. I would pay a fair bit more than the farmi costs if I thought there was a more versatile mobile processor out there but IMO it's still the best compromise. For power, I think the Trackmet wins but it looked a cumbersome mess with it just being a normal processor chucked on a trailer. Chips spat out straight into the wheel, poor visibility and no log lifter which is essential IMO. The new Japa looked better than the Trakemet but again a processor dumped on a trailer so very high and again large cumbersome machine for its log handling capabilities. I have only used the Farmi in anger but not been tempted by the opposition so far,

Fair enough it did just look like a processor with wheels, saw one with fuelwood in the royal welsh today, big unit but looked as if it could handle some stuff, think its a fairly new model was around the 18k, nice to hear off someone who had given one a good test.