Heat Shield For Kitchen Units.

My Dunsley Yorkshire wood burning stove is within 600mm (to the side)  of the new kitchen units. I was thinking of making a heat shield to trundle out when I'm using the fire and stowing it away when I'm not. I need advice on the type of material which would be best.   Many thanks!

wmplayer.exe

20181206_173409(1).jpg

Hi @Capetown

Looking at your photo there would appear to be an issue with the distance to non-combustibles.

If you go down the route of a heat shield then you would need to be looking at some kind of fireboard or 2mm stainless steel (although there would be an issue with the material getting hot).

We strongly advise approaching a HETAS engineer for professional advice.

I am thinking of the heavy foil faced "plasterboard", edged with aluminium angle or "U" section  to prevent crumbling.

Or 2  sheets of the same  held 50mm/75mm/100mm apart in a light frame so as to be self supporting, and with a generous air gap at the bottom to encourage convection heat transfer/cooling.

(i) Keep it Simple

Then;

(ii) "suck it and see"

A smell burning should give one sufficient warning of any possible impending combustion.

Regards,

Marcus

Edited by difflock

2 minutes ago, difflock said:

I am thinking of the heavy foil faced "plasterboard", edged with aluminium angle or "U" section  to prevent crumbling.

Or 2  sheets of the same  held 50mm/75mm/100mm apart in a light frame so as to be self supporting, and with a generous air gap at the bottom to encourage convection heat transfer/cooling.

(i) Keep it Simple

Then;

(ii) "suck it and see"

A smell burning should give one sufficient warning of any possible impending combustion.

Regards,

Marcus

Plasterboard will give you a half hour fire rating so if you foil it and trim around it that will be fine.

• Like 1

We took advice from the manufacturer, Dunsley Heat, and here is their reply:-

- Please find attached York boiler instructions page 3 combustible materials
- From the side and rear of the stove you need 100mm gap
- From the flue pipe you need 460mm minimum gap
- If your concerned that over time it may start to warp the wood cupboards then a sheet of metal about 1.5mm thick standing at least 30 mm away from the cupboard and 30mm off the floor and shielding direct radiation from the flue pipe would help  
- Also make sure the dog has plenty of water at hand

York Boiler.pdf

Wow! Thank you for your inputs, excellent!  Plasterboard must be the cheapest option but not sure if it would be robust enough when i keep moving it. I'll probably try a steel sheet first and see how it goes. Thanks again. Capetown.

1 hour ago, Capetown said:

Wow! Thank you for your inputs, excellent!  Plasterboard must be the cheapest option but not sure if it would be robust enough when i keep moving it. I'll probably try a steel sheet first and see how it goes. Thanks again. Capetown.

If you can get hold of a pink sheet it will give you an hour fire rating and is by far strong enough,3 times the strength of normal board as its a fire board ?