How to go about finding used saws to buy?

beetooex

I'm going to have to go self employed cutting chestnut coppice as piece work for a bit. I've always worked for large organisations so I'm having to buy my own kit for the first time.

I'll take advantage of the clearance deals for a brand new mk1 Husqy 550XP as my daily saw but I'd like to get 1 or 2 used saws as backup in case of problems. I can't afford downtime.

I'm worried half the saws on Ebay will be stolen or just knackered. Not that there's many pro .325" Huskys on there anyway. There's nothing on the Arbtalk classifieds.

What are my options? I'm only after something for occasional, backup use that will take the same chains as the new 550. I'm in Kent if that matters.

Edited by beetooex

Buying used is always a gamble, only thing you can do really is buy a used saw that you may of already known from someone you know,
or go and physically look at the 2nd hand saw that your interested in buying with your own eyes, ideally check that its fitted with genuine parts i.e whip covers off and check carb/cylinder etc to hopefully lessen your odds on future problems, even then its still a gamble.
Take someone with you who knows about them.
There will be many lads/lasses on here that have bought secondhand and got a belter of a buy and not really had much bother, but at same time there may be some that have bought a pup?!! Just the luck of the draw. Keep us posted on what you decided on.

Thanks peeps,

You've confirmed what I feared- when buying from a random private seller you really need to know your 2 stroke engines. Whilst I've swapped out just about every auxillary component in various Husqies over the years, anything inside the block is still a dark art to me. Back in the day I used to clean out carbs and reset them on the tach but I've never learnt how to fettle autotune so even that's out now.

I was hoping to get a refurbished one from a dealership. S J Daws is the obvious place around here but they didn't have anything, hence posting on this forum. So I bit the bullet yesterday and just phoned every single place Google said sold saws in Kent. They're all pretty much set up as lawn mower & horticulture shops so I drew a blank until I chanced upon Mowtastic.

They've got a cupboard full of trade-in Husquies that have only seen light use! Anything he gets that's obviously had a hard life goes straight on eBay for spares or repairs but these ones will get a full refurb from the engine techs and go out with a 6 month warranty. He didn't want to talk price until they've been through the workshop but I'm seriously considering just getting a pair of used 550 XPs off him if they're reasonable. 

I'll have to wait a bit as they're snowed under opening the new shop in Harrietsham but it's my only option so far and Chris there has been really helpful. You buggers better not buy them in the meantime ?

I buy second hand saws non runners and runner and do them up. I also buy new saws now and them for myself to use. I purchased a Stihl MS241 pro 325 in January this year but have found that I don't use it very often as I tend to use a MS261 moor. Infact I've only used it a couple of times. I might be interested in selling it at the right price if you are interested.

Just have to be quick and patient on whichever is your preferred listing site. All my saws have been second hand. Just picked up this MS461 with barely any work done (paint still intact underneath, no marks or scratches) for €300!! Possible deal of the year [emoji102]9e69b91513a73e7f7eff6cc01e7d12d8.jpgdd406d8d744e6a10b2f71bd0763e1db3.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, owain038 said:

Just have to be quick and patient on whichever is your preferred listing site. All my saws have been second hand. Just picked up this MS461 with barely any work done (paint still intact underneath, no marks or scratches) for €300!! Possible deal of the year emoji102.png9e69b91513a73e7f7eff6cc01e7d12d8.jpgdd406d8d744e6a10b2f71bd0763e1db3.jpg

not sure if i did as good as you or a bit better 461 not 12 months old 25" bar & chain + spare new chain in box and saw not had 5 ltrs of fuel through it ? but i thought it was cheap at £400 with original invoice ?  

new phon photos (1) (2).jpg

• Like 2