Pricing in the UK (west Country)

DTaylor

Oh. That is more than i charge by some way.....will be reassessing this at some point. Just about to price up a 11day job, be good to get it right.

Where abouts are you lux? Suspect prices are a bit different in n.e?

South east. Surrey / West Sussex border. I pay my staff between 140 and 180 per day as a general rule.

8 hours ago, lux said:

I think for a 2 man day you want to be achieving 600/650 per day. Sometimes you do more sometimes a little less but I recon that’s what you need to aim to average out at to be paying wages and the business having money in the pot. I would try to stick on price work as opposed to day rate. More chance to make better money some days.

Nice one. Just good for me to here something I can start basing quote around roughly and ill figure the rest out through trial and error

14 hours ago, billpierce said:

How do you price jobs then? I'm probably pretty poor at it. I usually work out what i need for the day ( 8hrs on site, bit for chipper, and a bit fuel if its a trek away) what labour i want ( groundie, other climber, extra hands ), guess how long it'll take (including chip /log drops if more than a load etc), add it up and pop a wee contingency/profit on.

Find it hard looking at tree and saying thats a 800quid takedown, thats a 400 prune etc

1) Work out how much you need to make per day to cover costs of vehicle insurance, kit, yard, consumables etc.

2) Work out how long you reckon it will take - I like to pay myself a certain amount per hour on jobs (this includes time taken quoting, writing reports etc).  If it looks like it might take a bit longer then price accordingly.

4) Who do you know with the right kit for the job?

5) I then take into account labour costs, all subbies are on day rates so they get paid their whack whenever we finish. I aim for job and knock when contracting.

6) Profit, treat your business as another person, it needs a salary too.

7) Luck, everyone needs a little bit of luck.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think for a 2 man day you want to be achieving 600/650 per day. Sometimes you do more sometimes a little less but I recon that’s what you need to aim to average out at to be paying wages and the business having money in the pot. I would try to stick on price work as opposed to day rate. More chance to make better money some days.

Not quite sure where in the west country you are but that price is well over the average 2 man team for here. (Plymouth) for some small companies that would be nearly two days working to earn that. Good for you if you’re getting that.

Not quite sure where in the west country you are but that price is well over the average 2 man team for here. (Plymouth) for some small companies that would be nearly two days working to earn that. Good for you if you’re getting that.

I’m south east.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Mark J said:

1) Work out how much you need to make per day to cover costs of vehicle insurance, kit, yard, consumables etc.

2) Work out how long you reckon it will take - I like to pay myself a certain amount per hour on jobs (this includes time taken quoting, writing reports etc).  If it looks like it might take a bit longer then price accordingly.

4) Who do you know with the right kit for the job?

5) I then take into account labour costs, all subbies are on day rates so they get paid their whack whenever we finish. I aim for job and knock when contracting.

6) Profit, treat your business as another person, it needs a salary too.

7) Luck, everyone needs a little bit of luck.

Good post Mark ??

Nobody has mentioned yet:

Pick your jobs / customers wisely and price accordingly. Avoid spending time and money chasing the job where they’ve already had 300 quotes and are still looking to save another 20 quid. 

• Like 4