Pricing in the UK (west Country)

DTaylor

So I've just moved back to the UK having worked 4 years abroad in Canada Germany and Australia climbing trees.

I want to start working for myself here in the UK but obviously all my pricing knowledge has been gained abroad.

I want to get a bit of an idea what you guys are pricing jobs at. I know there's a lot that goes into it, (Expertise, Man power, Overheads, Local Area, Wear n Tear, Waste ect), but any input will help me form a better understanding of what I can get away with. Ill be starting on my own with just a truck, climbing kit, and a few saws (no chipper). Luckily my overheads are minimal. What do guys in a similar position roughly charge per hour for removals, pruning, hedge trimming or whatever you can think of? Or what would your average full, 8-10 hour work day roughly bring in? 

59 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Don't work an hourly rate . Price each individual job up . You will soon find were you are at .

This ^. If you decide to get an extra hand in and bash out the job in a third of a time then people can get tight.

This ^. If you decide to get an extra hand in and bash out the job in a third of a time then people can get tight.
How do you price jobs then? I'm probably pretty poor at it. I usually work out what i need for the day ( 8hrs on site, bit for chipper, and a bit fuel if its a trek away) what labour i want ( groundie, other climber, extra hands ), guess how long it'll take (including chip /log drops if more than a load etc), add it up and pop a wee contingency/profit on.

Find it hard looking at tree and saying thats a 800quid takedown, thats a 400 prune etc
  • Like 1

It’s the hardest thing about the job. It’s trial and error I’m afraid and everyone’s price point is different. I would say adjust your hours on site too. Down that to 7. You need to factor in time for loading unloading and tipping. How many people do you put out to most days / jobs including yourself. ?

It’s the hardest thing about the job. It’s trial and error I’m afraid and everyone’s price point is different. I would say adjust your hours on site too. Down that to 7. You need to factor in time for loading unloading and tipping. How many people do you put out to most days / jobs including yourself. ?
Usually me and groundie/climber, sometimes more hands if humping mountains of dreaded leylandii etc. I guess i usually price it on a 2 man team and then just bring in extras if it'll make the job go quicker.

I think for a 2 man day you want to be achieving 600/650 per day. Sometimes you do more sometimes a little less but I recon that’s what you need to aim to average out at to be paying wages and the business having money in the pot. I would try to stick on price work as opposed to day rate. More chance to make better money some days.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lux said:

I think for a 2 man day you want to be achieving 600/650 per day. Sometimes you do more sometimes a little less but I recon that’s what you need to aim to average out at to be paying wages and the business having money in the pot. I would try to stick on price work as opposed to day rate. More chance to make better money some days.

Iincluding VAT or plus?

Oh. That is more than i charge by some way.....will be reassessing this at some point. Just about to price up a 11day job, be good to get it right.

Where abouts are you lux? Suspect prices are a bit different in n.e?