Sustainable clothing

Squaredy

On 22/07/2019 at 18:32, Squaredy said:

Washing machines need to be designed with a simple easily accessible little filter which is cleaned every week or so.  Maybe in a few years we would all be horrified at the idea of a machine without such a filter.

But at present we are still in the dark ages with sewage.  In times of heavy rain it is still normal for raw sewage to discharge totally untreated to rivers and the sea.  I know this is a different problem from micro particles but it shows how far even a developed nation like ours has to go.

Raw sewage is discharged to rivers in heavy rainfall, but it's massively diluted by the rain. Sewage works just can't cope with a 1 in a hundred year downpour, so they have to discharge or flood the works and all the plant. Another one of those things, unless we all want an increase in our water/sewage charges.

Edited by eggsarascal
  • Like 1

For some reason the powers that be are not playing ball at all with sustainable hemp. And are still kissing Europe's arse.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49082533

"Following Home Office guidance last November, Oxfordshire-based Hempen said it had stopped growing Hemp for CBD purposes."

Then later in the article .

"It hopes to avoid job losses by changing its product offering and continuing to supply CBD by importing it from a European partner, which is legal."

2 hours ago, eggsarascal said:

Raw sewage is discharged to rivers in heavy rainfall, but it's massively diluted by the rain. Sewage works just can't cope with a 1 in a hundred year downpour, so they have to discharge or flood the works and all the plant. Another one of those things, unless we all want an increase in our water/sewage charges.

Yes, but what is shocking is that this happens surprisingly often.  For example Pendine sands (one of the UK's biggest beaches and a major tourist spot) had raw sewage discharged 317 days out of 365 in 2017.  Now I know Wales has a reputation for plenty of rain, but even Snowdonia does not have this much!  Link here 

WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Campaigner wants more to be done to stop storm overflows getting into Welsh rivers and seas.

Much of the problem is that so many rainwater gutters and I would imagine street drains discharge into sewers instead of storm drains and soakaways.  My house is a good example.  It was built in 1925 and like every other house in the street the downpipes from the front of the house go to the strom drain which empties into the local drainage ditch; but the downpipes from the rear of the house goes into the sewer.  In this example it is fixable - not cheap - but then neither are the fines which we will end up paying if the Environment Agency ever get round to enforcing the law.

Combined sewers, a mixture of waste water and surface water are needed at the works, the storm tanks that hold many thousands of gallons dilute the sewage..pretty much every pumping station goes into emergency overflow in storm conditions. Anglian Water used to stand us down if it was pissing down, what's the point in trying to fight nature. The assets aren't there, if we want't them we'll have to pay, or renationalise some services.

6 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

Combined sewers, a mixture of waste water and surface water are needed at the works, the storm tanks that hold many thousands of gallons dilute the sewage..pretty much every pumping station goes into emergency overflow in storm conditions. Anglian Water used to stand us down if it was pissing down, what's the point in trying to fight nature. The assets aren't there, if we want't them we'll have to pay, or renationalise some services.

Well I for one would happily pay more for such a basic human necessity as drinking water and waste water treatment.  If my bill increased by 35% it would cost an extra 80 pence a day, but across all customers would give Welsh Water many million extra to reduce rainwater getting into sewers.  Have you ever walked on a beach covered in sanitary towels????!!!!  I have.

7 minutes ago, Squaredy said:

Well I for one would happily pay more for such a basic human necessity as drinking water and waste water treatment.  If my bill increased by 35% it would cost an extra 80 pence a day, but across all customers would give Welsh Water many million extra to reduce rainwater getting into sewers.  Have you ever walked on a beach covered in sanitary towels????!!!!  I have.

No I've never walked a beach covered in sanitary towels. Have  you ever been up to your chest in a river putting booms and pads out to try to stop a pollution spreading?

Edited by eggsarascal

2 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

No I've never walked a beach covered in sanitary towels. Have  you ever been up to your chest in a river putting booms and pads out to try to stop a pollution spreading?

No indeed does not sound nice.  However I still think most people would be horrified if they knew how often we in the UK allow raw sewage to flow directly into our rivers and coasts.  And I know this is not a unique UK problem of course.

5 minutes ago, Squaredy said:

ErNo indeed does not sound nice.  However I still think most people would be horrified if they knew how often we in the UK allow raw sewage to flow directly into our rivers and coasts.  And I know this is not a unique UK problem of course.

It's one of those things, pumping stations, and works were built for a certain population, that populations has grown, we've built more hard standing so run off has increased, it's got to go somewhere. If you know the answer tell me, it'd make my fortune.

1 hour ago, Squaredy said:

if the Environment Agency ever get round to enforcing the law.

I think the directors of southern water may be worrying a bit about this at the moment

WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Company must pay back £123m to customers over ‘shocking’ failures at sewage treatment sites

Edited by openspaceman