Sustainable clothing

Squaredy

The Impact of a Cotton T-Shirt | Stories | WWF

WWW.WORLDWILDLIFE.ORG

Whether it’s reducing waste, saving energy, or being a conscious...

I am sure some one has worked out the comparative environmental cost of polypropylene vs cotton. But I would not be surprised if in the life cycle when you include washing and drying cotton will be worse than man made.. 

I have helly hanson lifa shirts that our 15 years old that I used extensively. No way cotton can take the same abuse..

1 hour ago, Stubby said:

How would you dispose of your filter that is full of microscopic plastic particles ?

In the residual waste bin and depending where you live that could first go to an incinerator then managed landfill or else straight to managed landfill where it should stay inert for a few thousand years in a sealed cell.

1 hour ago, benedmonds said:

The Impact of a Cotton T-Shirt | Stories | WWF

WWW.WORLDWILDLIFE.ORG

Whether it’s reducing waste, saving energy, or being a conscious...

I am sure some one has worked out the comparative environmental cost of polypropylene vs cotton. But I would not be surprised if in the life cycle when you include washing and drying cotton will be worse than man made.. 

I have helly hanson lifa shirts that our 15 years old that I used extensively. No way cotton can take the same abuse..

The energy consumption of cotton is high, in fact as far as I can tell wearing cotton clothes has a huge environmental impact.  But at least you avoid the problem of tiny bits of plastic ending up in our food because it enters the food chain.  As an organic substance at least it simply rots away when discarded.  Imagine how much microplastic will be in the world's oceans if we keep washing plastic based clothes as we are now for a century or two.

8 hours ago, Squaredy said:

The energy consumption of cotton is high, in fact as far as I can tell wearing cotton clothes has a huge environmental impact.  But at least you avoid the problem of tiny bits of plastic ending up in our food because it enters the food chain.  

Whatever you do has some impact and while I applaud the sentiment to try to reduce your footprint there are so many unforseen consequences that make it is nearly impossible to make properly informed decisions. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, benedmonds said:

Whatever you do has some impact and while I applaud the sentiment to try to reduce your footprint there are so many unforseen consequences that make it is nearly impossible to make properly informed decisions. 

Yes I do agree totally.  I decided that when I buy twenty or thirty polo tops for myself and my workers I would make a more environmentally sound selection than polycotton, but it is proving difficult.  

I am am still researching and hope to find a good choice eventually.

How about linen?

Dunno how enviro it is but its natural & biodegrable, ans supposedly good in summer heat..

EN.WIKIPEDIA.ORG

SHOP.MANGO.COM

Casual line 100% linen Polo neck Short sleeve Side slits

Model^ reminds me of the "Sports causual" look like  Alan Partridge ?

EDIT:

Sounds pretty enviro from the paper:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/233562317_Environmental_Impact_Analysis_of_the_Production_of_Flax_Fibres_to_be_Used_as_Composite_Material_Reinforcement

Environmental-impacts-during-the-product

Man from del monte says.......

Edited by Stere

2 hours ago, LeeGray said:

Try cotton roots, we got organic  cotton stuff there with our logos 

Thanks for that, I am looking into them.  Ideally I would rather avoid cotton altogether, but at least it is organic, and they are reasonably priced and plain so ideal for embroidered workwear.

Would pure leather not be classed as sustainable?

Although turning up in a full gimp suit may not project the professional  business image your hoping to get accross it may make it easier to recruit staff from certain cross sections.

Would also need to employ a talc boy!

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, andy cobb said:

Would pure leather not be classed as sustainable?

Although turning up in a full gimp suit may not project the professional  business image your hoping to get accross it may make it easier to recruit staff from certain cross sections.

Would also need to employ a talc boy!

That's a cracker ! ?