Sustainable clothing

Squaredy

14 hours ago, openspaceman said:

So what?

It's a tiny proportion of the oil that comes out of the ground and there's no way you would want to go back to hemp ropes.

My point was that we might as well wear them while oil is still coming out of the ground.

9 minutes ago, Mark J said:

My point was that we might as well wear them while oil is still coming out of the ground.

As one of the oil platform people on here have said that isn't going to be a problem for quite a while yet, anyway there are routes to all the plastics from organic means.

A while ago I asked @eggsarascal  if he could recommend a filter for the outlet of a washing machine to trap these small plastic bits. He hadn't heard of one at the time and I could only see them for sale in US (where the driving reason is to stop them contaminating septic tank workings).

I have not yet found a good report on their effectiveness in stopping plastic fibrils getting into the sewage system.

4 hours ago, openspaceman said:

As one of the oil platform people on here have said that isn't going to be a problem for quite a while yet, anyway there are routes to all the plastics from organic means.

A while ago I asked @eggsarascal  if he could recommend a filter for the outlet of a washing machine to trap these small plastic bits. He hadn't heard of one at the time and I could only see them for sale in US (where the driving reason is to stop them contaminating septic tank workings).

I have not yet found a good report on their effectiveness in stopping plastic fibrils getting into the sewage system.

Washing machines need to be designed with a simple easily accessible little filter which is cleaned every week or so.  Maybe in a few years we would all be horrified at the idea of a machine without such a filter.

But at present we are still in the dark ages with sewage.  In times of heavy rain it is still normal for raw sewage to discharge totally untreated to rivers and the sea.  I know this is a different problem from micro particles but it shows how far even a developed nation like ours has to go.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Squaredy said:

Washing machines need to be designed with a simple easily accessible little filter which is cleaned every week or so.

Yes and I intend to fit one soon but I think it will be a disposable element rather than washable. The problems I can see are people won't change them but rather remove them, a bit like people remove catalytic converters and diesel particulate filters, and there will be no MOT station to check for their presence. Also washing machines tend to have a life of around 10 years so it will take a while after manufacturers decide to fit them.

Many people are unable to grasp the fact they are part of the problem.

In the same way thieves disrupt life disproportionately to their number or their financial gain  it only takes a few people unwilling to reduce their personal contribution to pollution to spoil the efforts of many.

1 hour ago, Squaredy said:

Maybe in a few years we would all be horrified at the idea of a machine without such a filter.

Maybe but somehow I doubt I'll be around to witness it.

13 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

Yes and I intend to fit one soon but I think it will be a disposable element rather than washable. The problems I can see are people won't change them but rather remove them, a bit like people remove catalytic converters and diesel particulate filters, and there will be no MOT station to check for their presence. Also washing machines tend to have a life of around 10 years so it will take a while after manufacturers decide to fit them.

Many people are unable to grasp the fact they are part of the problem.

In the same way thieves disrupt life disproportionately to their number or their financial gain  it only takes a few people unwilling to reduce their personal contribution to pollution to spoil the efforts of many.

Maybe but somehow I doubt I'll be around to witness it.

How would you dispose of your filter that is full of microscopic plastic particles ?