Advice on Tree Job

Got called to go look at this job today part of the crown had snapped out last year and just missed the neighbours stables and this year the tree hasn't established at all.

It is in a 18th century vicorage next door to a church and is approximately 42" - 48" at the stump. 

The customer has asked for the whole canopy / crown to be removed and the trunk left standing @ approximately 15 foot tall

I have asked the customer if there are any TPO's in place and he has confirmed verbally that there isn't. 

What is the job worth I have priced it but looking to see what others would charge? 

Jack

IMG_20190718_092420.jpg

IMG_20190718_120836.jpg

IMG_20190718_120841.jpg

IMG_20190718_120845.jpg

All the dead wood goes to a compost yard I pay £30 a tonne tipping fees and the logs get sold to a local fire wood man access is a huge driveway with gates about 10 feet wide and then just a straight run down the garden and got a climber for a day there is a little bit of rigging over a graveyard but then there is a huge drop zone on the other side in the garden I've priced it at £1600 & got the job to do on Tuesday so my pricing was about right then 

Jack 

I've also been on my local council TPO map and it isn't registered on there but going to phone them in the morning and it's also in a signed contract to say the customer has clarified there isn't a tpo and if any backlash does occur all responsibility rests solely on the customer and I take no liability whatsoever 

Jack 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jwoodgardenmaintenance said:

All the dead wood goes to a compost yard I pay £30 a tonne tipping fees and the logs get sold to a local fire wood man access is a huge driveway with gates about 10 feet wide and then just a straight run down the garden and got a climber for a day there is a little bit of rigging over a graveyard but then there is a huge drop zone on the other side in the garden I've priced it at £1600 & got the job to do on Tuesday so my pricing was about right then 

Jack 

I'd say thats a fair price, and enough to make a nice bit of profit on 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jwoodgardenmaintenance said:

it's also in a signed contract to say the customer has clarified there isn't a tpo and if any backlash does occur all responsibility rests solely on the customer and I take no liability whatsoever 

Jack 

Be careful with this approach, if you fell a protected tree on the basis that the owner has told you and signed a contract to say there is no TPO, you would still have committed a criminal offence.  Always check with the TO mate, you wouldn't believe how many times I have been told there is no TPO when there is one in place.   

Cheers

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

That is very true Chris.

If a customer says ' it hasn't got a TPO on it' in my experience it's more likely than usual that it has!

We always check anyway.

I wouldn't ring the TO though, even though I get on with him.

If it's not on their own TPO map it's their cock-up, not mine.

Price seems pretty fair, be handy getting a little loader in to hump the timber, there's plenty of it.

• Thanks 1

Interesting article.

What is a 'land charges section'?

And what is the 'protected area' he was felling the trees in?

Not saying he wasn't a total bell end, you don't take a saw to that many mature trees without doing a bit of legwork.

I wonder if he should have had a felling licence?

Pre-internet I rang a TO and asked if a tree at a certain property had a TPO on it.

He said he'd get back to me that afternoon.

He called and said 'It does now!'

Sneaky twat. Client wasn't best pleased.

If the tree was worthy of a TPO it should have had one on it already.

The councils response to that Rushmoor case is disgraceful - 'we don't have to put TPO's on our website.'

What's the point of having a website then you lazy twats?

• Like 7