Tracked chipper - decisions . . .

Ian88

5 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Not writing anything off, and it’s not really different strokes is it?

We are talking about two machines competing against each other in exactly the same place in the market place, same power unit (turboed v1505 iirc) 

Now, still looking for that video....found it!

That's a good video that, although he contradicts himself a bit saying that in the smaller brush stuff the Forst is quicker, but then immediately after says the TW is about the same!

Also felt like when the big logs went in at about 3:30, the TW took its time a bit but the Forst once the log was in proper it absolutely munched it.

Great video though - thanks for finding that @Mick Dempsey

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, ForestryFinance said:

That's a good video that, although he contradicts himself a bit saying that in the smaller brush stuff the Forst is quicker, but then immediately after says the TW is about the same!

Also felt like when the big logs went in at about 3:30, the TW took its time a bit but the Forst once the log was in proper it absolutely munched it.

Great video though - thanks for finding that @Mick Dempsey

Not sure if he realised the feed roller speed is adjustable on the Forst.

• Like 1

Shliesing are brilliant chippers. There is a reason they hold their price and they are built to last regardless of age. I own a 400u front mount. The tw230 is s brilliant chipper but you will wear it out. As it’s not durable enough to cope with the size of infeed it’s been given. We wore ours out in 1000 hours. On a tracked machine. The reason I got a tracked was because I thought the weight issue wasn’t relevant so they would use more metal on the tracked machine. But they don’t. Private work with occasional commercial work is fine.
The tw280 is also very good. This is what I have upgraded my tracked machine and road tow too. So far so good. Although Timberwolf need to put the older roller box springs back on as they are much tougher than the current ones and would pull anything through whereas the softer springs don’t snap as much but don’t grip as well.
The Greenmechs. I haven’t used much but the ones I have I wasn’t impressed with. They seem bodged, and tinny and I see a lot of things on them that I could re-design and improve instantly.
The forst chippers are good chippers but for resale value I would go Timberwolf over forst. The forst tracks are too narrow on the tr8 and the centre of gravity seems too top heavy and not as squat as the Timberwolf. Also the tracks aren’t as wide as the Timberwolfs. Reliability has also been unpredictable with them but backup is good.
It really depends on how much you will use it. And how user friendly you want it to be. Realistically the closest dealer to you will be the best for you as they should look after you regardless of chipper.
Good luck

• Like 2

Not sure if it helps, i recently went through a similar decision. Theres a thread about it.

Looked at TW, the 230 was too lightly built, but impressive performance, 280, too wide, not enough performance for its capacity,

Först, fantastic backup, terrible resale, no one that i know with a först would own one outside of warranty time.

Greenmech, well a 1928 safe track would have been way up there as a machine of choice, but the green mech dealer here in Sweden has a worse than shit reputation which is a real shame as green mech products are immensely underrated imo.

Briefly considered Bandit, but decided that their huge size was their downfall, i wouldn't be able to get to many trees with something that wide.

So i ordered a Jensen 540T, Varitrac, with upgraded 50hp motor and hydraulic winch. Didn't opt for the spider (which includes the 50hp motor) as it was about 400kgs extra and i thought it was more to go wrong, and hadn't needed the up down feature on my previous chipper. That 400kg would also mean i couldn't have the chipper on the tipping trailer and the grinder on at the sametime (my grinder, trailer and 540T weighs bang on 3500kg)

Very happy with my purchase so far, colleagues who have used it prefer it over the TW 280, and i hope it will last me many, many years. A real long term investment.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎19‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 20:52, monkeybusiness said:

Definitely look at a 1928 Safetrak - you’d get a lot of machine for your budget and it will go pretty much anywhere...

We have a used one in stock that we've carried out a fair amount of work on, its currently on eBay...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2009-GreenMech-SafeTrak-19-28-Wood-Chipper-PLUS-VAT-from-main-dealer-TimberWolf/264420682897?hash=item3d90b36c91:g:e0MAAOSwQGVdTCiY

Ian88, have dropped you a message about it. We aren't far away from you :) 

• Like 1