Sycamores with small leaves

Spideylj

No, they're definitely sycamores.  In some locations there are two next to each other.  One can be normal and the other has come out in small leaves.  Equally, I was looking at one yesterday that had put some growth out above an old wound and the leaves were normal but in the canopy they were small.  At first I though it might be Kretz but there's no sign of it around the base or any of the other usual suspects, honey fungus etc.

Edited by Spideylj
spelling mistake!

1 hour ago, Spideylj said:

No, they're definitely sycamores.  In some locations there are two next to each other.  One can be normal and the other has come out in small leaves.  Equally, I was looking at one yesterday that had put some growth out above an old wound and the leaves were normal but in the canopy they were small.  At first I though it might be Kretz but there's no sign of it around the base or any of the other usual suspects, honey fungus etc.

What part of the NW? 

Can't say that I've noticed huge changes in Sycamores generally over the last two years apart from those in obvious drought prone locations like contained roadside planters etc. 

• Like 1

I am in North Staffordshire, on the edge of the Staffordshire Moorlands and the east of Stoke on Trent. I have noticed several Sycamores recently which had normal sized leaves last year and have small leaves this year. I was looking at a couple with one of the local tree officers and we both commented on the small leaves and assumed it is related to last year's drought.

Despite plenty of rain earlier this year our ground remains much drier and harder than usual. One field gateway that normally needs wellies most of the year is now hard and dry. I am planning to take water out into one of our fields to water some Weeping Willows we planted 18months ago.

Ok, still being puzzled by this.  Was out in one of the parks today and noticed the same on some sycamores.  The one on the left is normal and from a tree that is around 30m away from the one with small leaves.  The middle leaf is the largest leaf of the tree with the issue.  The one on the right is the average sized leaf of the the tree.

I've ruled out drought with this one.  Both trees are sat in a grassed river embankment.  Apart from the small leaves there is nothing to indicate any infection.  In the bottom photograph you can see the tree that the small leaves came off.  The canopy looks a bit sparse but I think that is more down to the small leaves rather than anything else.  There is a sycamore creeping in to the right that is showing small leaves and starting to die back in the crown.

All the trees are of a similar age and it's numerous trees that are producing small leaves.

IMG_1738.thumb.JPG.ad6799656bd062701fbefc69fbacb98e.JPGIMG_1739.thumb.JPG.4150a3cb611bcb7e18e4e9e89d894364.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Leaf size and colour are not set in stone. To my mind even shape differs from region to region. Flowers and seeds are the only structures that do not alter significantly. Those interested in bonsai regularly prune roots and carry out other odd practices such as defoliating to maintain a small leaf size in some maple spp.

• Like 1