Monitoring the rate of decay in a Mature Beech with Ganoderma

Steve Bullman

I carried out a Picus test yesterday on a mature Beech tree with a large Ganoderma bracket. The tree was previously tested 6 years ago and the client wanted to know if the decay has progressed. Interested to view the results of the tests together. You can see the area covered by the decay hasn't extended by a great margin, however the decay has increased significantly in the already affected area.

Picus test on Beech tree

This first test was carried out November 2013

Screen Shot 2019-07-17 at 14.40.38.png

Second test, July 2019

The tree has been regularly reduced in light of the decay present. With the ongoing maintenance of the tree along with a significant buttress root formation I believe this tree can continue to stand for a few more years to come as yet.

Contact me if you are interested in Picus testing. Based in Suffolk but prepared to travel for multiple tests. 

[email protected] or 07801 923740

few images of the tree

E5E0C022-8569-4804-AC4C-46FCD2FA4201.jpeg

338490C0-1944-4910-80D1-6A255A2D77BD.jpeg

1427CA01-3471-4AC5-8E45-85E6607E03B8.jpeg

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Steve Bullman said:

I carried out a Picus test yesterday on a mature Beech tree with a large Ganoderma bracket. The tree was previously tested 6 years ago and the client wanted to know if the decay has progressed. Interested to view the results of the tests together. You can see the area covered by the decay hasn't extended by a great margin, however the decay has increased significantly in the already affected area.

Picus test on Beech tree

This first test was carried out November 2013

Screen Shot 2019-07-17 at 14.40.38.png

Second test, July 2019

The tree has been regularly reduced in light of the decay present. With the ongoing maintenance of the tree along with a significant buttress root formation I believe this tree can continue to stand for a few more years to come as yet.

Contact me if you are interested in Picus testing. Based in Suffolk but prepared to travel for multiple tests. 

[email protected] or 07801 923740

few images of the tree

E5E0C022-8569-4804-AC4C-46FCD2FA4201.jpeg

338490C0-1944-4910-80D1-6A255A2D77BD.jpeg

1427CA01-3471-4AC5-8E45-85E6607E03B8.jpeg

I would be more interested in anything going on in the root system . Can you test that Steve ? . I have seen them go over in a blow with not much decay in the stick but destroyed roots .

Edited by Stubby

• 4 years later...

This tree has been condemned today. Latest Picus test has shown a massive increase in the decay which has also entered into the roots. All roots around the decayed area show severe audible sounds of decay using a sounding hammer. Lots of fresh Ganoderama brackets at various heights also.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1