HT131 Drive Tube Assembly

Swampster

Can anyone confirm if the splined drive shaft that runs up the centre of the tube consists of one or two parts? Drive to the saw head has stopped and I cannot work out what the failure is, the extended tube will not fully house either. Any help or experience appreciated. 

Adam

Edited by Swampster
Spelling

there are 2 shafts. One an externally splined shaft and the other an internally splined tube and they slide inside each other ooh er. There is sometimes a sacrificial plastic drive extension at the saw head of the shaft and this is there to snap if you overload it. Does the top of the shaft turn with the engine running?.

You've not been using it with a hedgecutter head have you?

• Like 1

Has a tendency to overload the shaft if you jam the hedgecutter head cutting too thick a bit, i use mine with a hedgecutter head.

The pole sawhead has a degree of slippage as the drive sprocket is not fixed to the shaft directly it is driven by belvill ie frictione washers

Main Inner and outer are of fairly equal length as one slides inside the other, The short piece of outer nearest the engine I believe pushes over a snap ring on the inner to keep it in place.  The long piece of outer has a circlip at engine end.  Sorry I have to hold my hands up and admit, I've repaired a few of the older telescopic poles, but not one a 131. Just going by the diagram.

I must say, Stihl win the award again for over complicating such a simple thing.  They should really see how Echo make theirs, so simple and easy to repair.  I changed a inner tube and drive shaft on one of the Echo's in about fifteen minutes.