Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I think part of the issue is everything people see on social media re being an “Arborist”. It’s very easy to make the job look like you spend your day swinging around from a crane hook or deadwooding lovely big Oak trees, and a lot of people new to the industry don’t seem to realise the graft and hard work involved before it’s too late! 

 

Having said that, there’s plenty of willing hard working younger people who get stuck behind a chipper all day every day because their gang leader/boss wants to be mr big bollocks and do all the climbing...... I’m 27 and I had to push to break out of that and get chances, but technically I’m a “millennial snowflake” so maybe it’s my fault 😜 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Treetom15 just poor industry mentoring n staff development, bet Billy Bigbollox is as not as good 'as he thinks he is' and sadly all too common in tree industry. K

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Khriss said:

@Treetom15 just poor industry mentoring n staff development, bet Billy Bigbollox is as not as good 'as he thinks he is' and sadly all too common in tree industry. K

Anyone who has to tell you just how good they are, is usually never that good 😂 I’ve always been very lucky and had good boss’s and team leaders, but I’ve worked with lots of young lads who haven’t and it’s killed the enjoyment of the job for them-hence you start getting all the “I can’t come in today the dog ate my lunchbox” phone calls at 8am 🙄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, monkeybusiness said:

Anyone who puts Lycra on to go for a bike ride (and isn’t being paid to wear it) deserves all the humiliation they receive.

I know there is a swearing thread at the moment and generally the tone is unfortunately being lowered on here but I’m struggling to find a better word than bellends for these people..... 

Why could you possibly be so angry about individuals keeping healthy (reducing the cost to the national health service) and socialising in a way that causes the smallest of inconvenience to others..?  Find something real to get upset about. 

 

It's taken you an extra 30 seconds to drive to your gym, golf club, shops (fit in your pointless past time)..  And being a twat you have probably driven in an irresponsible manner putting their and others life at risk as you believe you own the roads and don't understand the highway code..

 

 

Edited by benedmonds
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, benedmonds said:

Why could you possibly be so angry about individuals keeping healthy (reducing the cost to the national health service) and socialising in a way that causes the smallest of inconvenience to others..?  Find something real to get upset about. 

 

It's taken you an extra 30 seconds to drive to your gym, golf club, shops (fit in your pointless past time)..  And being a twat you have probably driven in an irresponsible manner putting their and others life at risk as you believe you own the roads and don't understand the highway code..

 

 

Ha ha, Lycra lover are we - I appear to have touched a nerve?! 

 

I’ve no issue with anyone riding a bike/unicycle/horse/another bloke - whatever floats their boat, it’s a free country and we all have different tastes. Live and let live as far as I’m concerned!

 

Making the decision to wear lycra out in public though, that marks one out as a special sort of self-absorbed narcissistic fucktard in my book. I can understand it in the heat of competition when the difference in wind resistance might buy the wearer an extra millisecond or two - at all other times it screams ‘Plonker’ to me I’m afraid. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, monkeybusiness said:

Ha ha, Lycra lover are we - I appear to have touched a nerve?! 

 

I’ve no issue with anyone riding a bike/unicycle/horse/another bloke - whatever floats their boat, it’s a free country and we all have different tastes. Live and let live as far as I’m concerned!

 

Making the decision to wear lycra out in public though, that marks one out as a special sort of self-absorbed narcissistic fucktard in my book. I can understand it in the heat of competition when the difference in wind resistance might buy the wearer an extra millisecond or two - at all other times it screams ‘Plonker’ to me I’m afraid. 

......glad you got that off yr chest ;) k

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

Lycra is just to show off you're a massive penis.

 

I don’t wear lycra.

Fixed that for you, Mark. Correct spelling and grammar are important.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, monkeybusiness said:

Ha ha, Lycra lover are we - I appear to have touched a nerve?! 

 

I’ve no issue with anyone riding a bike/unicycle/horse/another bloke - whatever floats their boat, it’s a free country and we all have different tastes. Live and let live as far as I’m concerned!

 

Making the decision to wear lycra out in public though, that marks one out as a special sort of self-absorbed narcissistic fucktard in my book. I can understand it in the heat of competition when the difference in wind resistance might buy the wearer an extra millisecond or two - at all other times it screams ‘Plonker’ to me I’m afraid. 

You did touch a nerve as cyclists regularly get a bashing by the Jeremy Clarkson fan cub.. 

 

Your post did not come across as live and let live..  It came across as someone who knows little about something and makes a stupid generalisation and the hate shown seemed hugely disproportionate indicating other issues with cyclists,,

 

Cyclists wear lycra as it is the most suitable clothing for cycling in.. Same as surfers wear wetsuits, runners wear shorts and every sporting activity wears whatever is most comfy and practical..  You are presumably not offended by sunday league footballers wearing football kits?

 

Anyone not wearing lycra on a bike is the fool.

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Featured Adverts

About

Arbtalk.co.uk is a hub for the arboriculture industry in the UK.  
If you're just starting out and you need business, equipment, tech or training support you're in the right place.  If you've done it, made it, got a van load of oily t-shirts and have decided to give something back by sharing your knowledge or wisdom,  then you're welcome too.
If you would like to contribute to making this industry more effective and safe then welcome.
Just like a living tree, it'll always be a work in progress.
Please have a look around, sign up, share and contribute the best you have.

See you inside.

The Arbtalk Team

Follow us

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.