Staff woes

simonm

On 25/07/2019 at 07:43, Stubby said:

I seem to remember being shot down for starting a similar thread last year where we could not leave our village all day coz of push bikes .

Yeah me too, was shot down for being negative about cyclists. My question was/is how much extra fossil fuel is burnt every year due to multiple motorists being slowed down by solitary cyclists? And how many man hours lost?

• Like 3

On 26/07/2019 at 10:43, Conor Wright said:

...I don't hate them, hate is far too strong a word, I more pity them/cannot understand them, how sad must their family lives be that they feel forced to endanger their own lives, damage their nuts and inhale the fumes of passing trucks then call it leisure...

They (We) don't want your pity, just consideration..

Cyclists are healthier, happier, fitter, less of a burden on the NHS who enjoy spending time with their friends.  

They are also predominantly white middle class and therefore more likely to be higher rate tax payers (especially the ones on £3000 bikes) and therefore I would guess contribute considerably more in TAX and therefore road upkeep than your average tree surgeon.. 

I cannot believe on a day to day anyone is held up for more than a minute. It may feel worse but I bet if you timed it you would in reality see what a fuss you are making over bugger all.

Big sportives may be a huge inconvenience but so are may sporting events.  I have been stuck in traffic for hours due to football and horse racing events clogging up the roads... 

ECF.COM

It is no secret that cycling provides health benefits, but it is amazing how just riding a bike to work offers extraordinary advantages. The Velo-city 2018 program will broadly focus...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Cyclists are healthier, happier, fitter, less of a burden on the NHS who enjoy spending time with their friends.  

They are also predominantly white middle class and therefore more likely to be higher rate tax payers (especially the ones on £3000 bikes) and therefore I would guess contribute considerably more in TAX and therefore road upkeep than your average tree surgeon.. 

I cannot believe on a day to day anyone is held up for more than a minute. It may feel worse but I bet if you timed it you would in reality see what a fuss you are making over bugger all.

Big sportives may be a huge inconvenience but so are may sporting events.  I have been stuck in traffic for hours due to football and horse racing events clogging up the roads... 

viktor-kern-65943-unsplash.jpg

ECF.COM
It is no secret that cycling provides health benefits, but it is amazing how just riding a bike to work offers extraordinary advantages. The Velo-city 2018 program will broadly focus...  

Why do so many think they are above adhering to road traffic laws ? And think that if a car goes to close in there eyes they can fly off the handle am not gunner go into a slagging match about cyclists but so many treet the roads like some sort of cycle path that is for them to do as they please if a motor vehicle driver commits an offence they are held accountable ?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Slightly off track but were I live the road is a dead end in as much as no vehicles past my house . There are bollards   that cyclists and pedestrians/runners can continue on . The runners and walkers insist on walking in the road even though there is a pavement on either side .  I drive off in my truck only to have to stop coz of the throng heading toward me in the road . I stopped and asked them one day if they thought  I should drive on the pavement ?   ... Blank looks all round .

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 5

46 minutes ago, bigtreedon said:

Why do so many think they are above adhering to road traffic laws ? And think that if a car goes to close in there eyes they can fly off the handle am not gunner go into a slagging match about cyclists but so many treet the roads like some sort of cycle path that is for them to do as they please if a motor vehicle driver commits an offence they are held accountable ?

Its just as bad around here Don for all us law abiding cycle users , these lycra clad teletubby racing bikists are always cutting me up and swearing at me

Bob:)

9E6616A0-7E0B-4A89-B90A-0082946A8E66_zps

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

4 minutes ago, aspenarb said:

Its just as bad around here Don for all us law abiding cycle users , these lycra clad teletubby racing bikists are always cutting me up and swearing at me

Bob:)

9E6616A0-7E0B-4A89-B90A-0082946A8E66_zps

Bless him .

2 hours ago, benedmonds said:

ECF.COM

Very fair points there.  Mutual care and consideration is, I'm sure, practiced by the vast majority of cyclists and vehicle operators.  The minority, in both camps, generate considerable passion and some quality entertainment.

That said, since the recent prosecution of the van driver (who was the first husband of my mate's wife) after the death of a cyclist which resulted from him not passing fully in the opposite lane (I think it was classified as careless or reckless driving or something like), if there isn't the room to pass fully into the opposite lane, I simply sit and wait.  A few minutes delay versus a life changing (and a life taking) experience, it's a no brainer. 

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

I'm dealing with a problem at the moment. I have only subbies. That I have used for over 4 years. The particular chap in question since I started. He is a good climber, not afraid to get his hands dirty and on his day good to be around, however he has a dark side of which causes me stress. I think it's got to the point where everything he does now becomes annoying. For years he towed the mewp on his truck for additional pay. He moaned no end about it. So I bought a 4x4 it had the intended purpose of towing only. He still moans! Everytime he has to pick it up there drama. The trailers too big or some stupid hold up. He has had a bad attitude to customers on a few occasions, to be honest his fucking mood swings bring everyone down. With work load I can't really afford to lose him. But for my own sanity I think longterm I need to. Last week he took the mewp back to the hire company. First aid bag had been attached to the basket all day and was left on in transit. The next day I got in the truck to go quote. F/a pouch is in footwell however the carabiner and slings attaching it to the basket are nowhere to be seen. I pulled him up on it and he told me there in his garage!!!!!! Why?! I'm having a break down. Advice please 

I'm dealing with a problem at the moment. I have only subbies. That I have used for over 4 years. The particular chap in question since I started. He is a good climber, not afraid to get his hands dirty and on his day good to be around, however he has a dark side of which causes me stress. I think it's got to the point where everything he does now becomes annoying. For years he towed the mewp on his truck for additional pay. He moaned no end about it. So I bought a 4x4 it had the intended purpose of towing only. He still moans! Everytime he has to pick it up there drama. The trailers too big or some stupid hold up. He has had a bad attitude to customers on a few occasions, to be honest his fucking mood swings bring everyone down. With work load I can't really afford to lose him. But for my own sanity I think longterm I need to. Last week he took the mewp back to the hire company. First aid bag had been attached to the basket all day and was left on in transit. The next day I got in the truck to go quote. F/a pouch is in footwell however the carabiner and slings attaching it to the basket are nowhere to be seen. I pulled him up on it and he told me there in his garage!!!!!! Why?! I'm having a break down. Advice please 

Luckily for you you can legally give him the boot as he’s a subby,
Why let him cause you stress?
I have a great team of lads all on the books, my lead climber has never had a day of in the 10 years that he’s worked for us.
We always employ staff who have shown an interest and been to college to study Arboricultural.