Staff woes

simonm

Been in business about 10 years started off doing tree work and now mostly transitioned into grounds maintenance. Constant issues with staff over the years, I've had 1 good lad who recently got send down for 13 months! Is it me? Am I a magnet for dummies? Job and knock pay good wages paid holiday pay for an extra week at Xmas out my own pocket, will go out my way if they are putting the effort in but most seem to be unable to grasp the concept of work. Had a lad with me for 4 weeks works well when he is here, rang in sick once, blobed because his scooter broke down rang me an hour after start time to tell me, late twice, drove 6 mile in the wrong direction to pick him up this morning as bike broke again never turned up! Rang an hour later to tell me he forgot he was working! The work ethic now seems to be piss poor! 

Does anyone else have to suffer this rubbish? 

2 minutes ago, simonm said:

Been in business about 10 years started off doing tree work and now mostly transitioned into grounds maintenance. Constant issues with staff over the years, I've had 1 good lad who recently got send down for 13 months! Is it me? Am I a magnet for dummies? Job and knock pay good wages paid holiday pay for an extra week at Xmas out my own pocket, will go out my way if they are putting the effort in but most seem to be unable to grasp the concept of work. Had a lad with me for 4 weeks works well when he is here, rang in sick once, blobed because his scooter broke down rang me an hour after start time to tell me, late twice, drove 6 mile in the wrong direction to pick him up this morning as bike broke again never turned up! Rang an hour later to tell me he forgot he was working! The work ethic now seems to be piss poor! 

Literally everyone!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, simonm said:

i thought it was just me.    was nearly gettin paranoid.

I have never employed anyone for this reason! 

The times I have had to us young lads they don't last too long !

I Know I work them hard and they just can't keep up ,i see them right off !

one lad lately lasted one day ,and refused the offer of more work even though he had no work and is about to get married !!!

The only guy I have ever thought of employing is now 55  but I just can't generate enough work for him and the rates I would have to pay him because he is that good!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cheesy pete said:

I have never employed anyone for this reason!

Same. One of the main reasons I gave up trying to run my own gig, couldn't deal with it. I had a couple of good lads on and off but generally it was just a nightmare. Just about every company I subbed to was the same. With the odd exception, staff was usually the biggest headache.

And the bigger you get the worse it is. I spoke to one company, not massive in business terms, but they had 25 people work for them. They once told me there wasn't a single day of the year when there wasn't at least one person off for one reason or another.

• Like 1

Just now, eggsarascal said:

Is this a tree industry thing? , I subbed a lad in yesterday, £400!. He turned up with all the gear and the job was done. Is it because there are loads of young lads out there that don't need to turn a Shilling?

Well....

Part of it is due to the 'youth of today' for sure, I mean who wants a manual labour job these days?

But lets consider another aspect that rarely gets considered....US!

With very few exceptions, most tree surgeons seem to be of a similar ilk and share very similar character flaws. Maybe we expect too much. Discuss

• Like 3