Where to look for tractors?

charlieb

I've got a decent idea of what I'm after now. Question is where to look?  Ebay?  Aggriaffaires? Local dealer wwws?  Autotrader?  Facebook? Gumtree?...      I'm expecting to do a fair bit of searching before I go for something, but keen to know where to search. 

Btw what I'm after is a 'small' 90-100 ish hp 4wd agricultural tractor (ie no special guarding), with front loader, and lowish hours.  Hopefully <£20,000.  For a mix of yard work, topping,  and occasional extractions.   Valtra preferred but I'm not fixated on them.

Edited by charlieb
  • Like 1

I agree to look everywhere, to be honest a sub 20k Valtra might be a very tall order.

Your looking at around 20k before the VAT, plus with a minimum of around 6000 hours.

I'd say spread your choices wider, there is a decent looking Case CS94 on ebay, for around 10k.

Anything agricultural it's down to the person who uses it and looks after it.

Thanks all.  Mascus I hadn't really come across before.  Look like a great alternative to ebay/gumtree.  THough frustrating they don't allow you to sort by location. (Am I missing something?)    Seems like easiest thing is to find a tractor on there and then find the dealer's web page for mor info. 

Mascus is good for machinery - I'm not really impartial as I advertise with them for machinery finance. 

You can sort by location to an extent - well rather you can filter out the ones that aren't in a particular location, but I think the most granular that goes to is just to restrict to ones in the UK. 

Are you paying cash for whatever tractor you end up with? Most of the more reputable dealers on Mascus will deliver to you if you can get comfortable enough with buying one you've not seen in person...not sure how keen you are on that idea.

Cheffins Cambridge Machinery Sales if you're anywhere round East Anglia. Never been myself but seen plenty of tractors on lorries on the way to/from:

WWW.CHEFFINS.CO.UK

Cheffins Cambridge Machinery Sales is world-renowned as the leading auctioneer of second-hand machinery and the largest monthly auction in Europe.

People go there for a day out I've heard.

15 minutes ago, Dan Maynard said:

Cheffins Cambridge Machinery Sales if you're anywhere round East Anglia. Never been myself but seen plenty of tractors on lorries on the way to/from:

WWW.CHEFFINS.CO.UK

Cheffins Cambridge Machinery Sales is world-renowned as...

People go there for a day out I've heard.

I went a couple of years ago lots of foreign people buying and most of the tractors were ones dealers had siting around for a while and wanted rid of.

Local, smaller dealers are a good bet. The condition of the seat, steps up to cab and general cab wear and tear are a good indication of how much the owner looked after it. I've seen immaculate 10,000 hour tractors and absolute dogs of a 4000 hour tractor. I know which I'd rather have.