Broken Apple Tee + Chutney?

Steven P

Question

I wasn't sure whether to put this in here or general chat becuase I have 2 questions...

First off, one of my apple trees was used as a swing by The Boy a couple of years ago abd broke a branch off, the Outlaws (used to be farming types) strapped it back up again and it has thrived for a couple of years. Today it fell off, probably the weight of apples on it.

Looking at the scar it only rejoined half way - so am I right to assume I cannot do much with the branch apart from firewod now? Should I ne looking to do anything to protext where the branch snaped off.

Second question, there are about 2 1/2 kg of unipe apples.. so does anyone have any killer chutney recepes? (alternative is squirrel / deer / cow food depends where I thow them). I guess smthing like, Apples, sultanas, vinegar and sugar plus some paprika for a bit of a kick? Not so happy - 50 apples that are 1/4 of the size they were when ripe and this was the branch wih most apples on too

6 answers to this question

Cut branch clean at a union/collar leave cut untreated, apples will no good will be sour/too unripe atm to taste nice apart from animal food imo.

Many gardens have loads have apples they never use im sure if you  keep an eye out  someone will let you have a load though locally this yr has being  very poor for apples.

1 hour ago, difflock said:

But was last year not a bumper crop?

It was ok, drought and heat made trees wilt which I’ve never seen before. Keeping qualities were poor. Quantities were more than I could deal with and a lot simply went to waste. 

Last years crop being good doesn’t compensate for a poor crop this year. Heavy crops of anything usually means a glut and poor prices. In the olden day’s a poor crop meant higher prices due to increased demand, with global supply and a multitude of alternative fruit to choose from  that is no longer the case. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Stere said:

Cut branch clean at a union/collar leave cut untreated, apples will no good will be sour/too unripe atm to taste nice apart from animal food imo.

Many gardens have loads have apples they never use im sure if you  keep an eye out  someone will let you have a load though locally this yr has being  very poor for apples.

I dunno, I thought this yr was a goodun for apples, 

but yes just cut with a nice sharp saw (a bit like a pruning cut) and the tree will be happy.?

as for the apples on the old branch, I’d class it as a late June drop.. the other apples will thank you by being bigger..?