English Elm disease

timber-don

Hello everyone, 

Looking for some advice please - We have a beautiful - What we think is a English Elm in our Garden, We found the tree in a farm woodland about 20 years ago & moved it, we are guessing when we moved it it was maybe 10 years old ( easy work with a 3 ton digger & trailer ).

The tree is standing 25 - 30ft tall & has a rounded canopy covering 20 - 25ft, we noticed some of the leaves not doing so well last year & this year there are more dead leaves almost making the ground underneath look like autumn with fallen leaves.

Guessing its Elm disease can any one give any advice please, as a percentage it still has normal green looking leaves on about 90% of the tree, but the dead leaves are getting more.

If it is mild Elm disease are there any experimental treatments going around that might help save this tree.

Thank You,

Timber-Don

That would be Dutch Elm Disease then . If it is then it has done well to get as far as it has .  Most hedge row Elms around here succumb at about a foot or so diameter at the thick end . Brighton being the exception .  

Wych Elm is far less likely to get the disease. My understanding is that it is because the beetle that carries DED does not find the Wych Elm as tasty or whatever.

If you want to see some fantastic mature Elms go to Edinburgh or Glasgow, probably more and bigger in Edinburgh I would say. I often admire these when going to see our son in Edigburgh or daughter in Glasgow.

Just now, maybelateron said:

Wych Elm is far less likely to get the disease. My understanding is that it is because the beetle that carries DED does not find the Wych Elm as tasty or whatever.

If you want to see some fantastic mature Elms go to Edinburgh or Glasgow, probably more and bigger in Edinburgh I would say. I often admire these when going to see our son in Edigburgh or daughter in Glasgow.

Or Brighton if you are in the south .

• Like 1