Greaser’s Heaven

Billhook

22 minutes ago, scraggs said:

Decided to go with the Milwaukee.

How flash are you!?

I subbed a lad in today to help me with a Klargester, he pulled out a Milwaukee cordless grinder and a Bacho socket set, he'll learn they are best left in the van when he's up to his waist in shite.

• Haha 1

I can remember greasing up D7s Billhook on cold frosty mornings over 50 years ago, those enormous slide-on nipples and a gun mounted grease or heavy oil keg equally cumbersome.

I was threatened to be ‘half killed’ by the old foreman if I put too much in and blew the seals out of the track rollers or idlers.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, difflock said:

Hmmm,

Anyway, perhaps I misquoted myself, anyway, thinking over what I stated, I concluded that I never was aware that there was a non-return valve in grease guns, why would there be when there is a non-return valve built into the grease nipple itself?(and I must pull a scrap one apart, the first wet day, to double check) so unless this foot operated grease gun incorporates a non-return valve, how would "releasing" the pressure make any difference, or does it perhaps "suck" the grease back a tad?.

But then why do they also need to provide an easy release coupler?

I worry about these kind of things.

Cheers

marcusthehatter.

I had not thought about a non return valve .   All I know is that normal grease guns are a pain to attach to a nipple and frequently become detached except when you want to detach them and then they sometimes break the nipple.

i am not sure what happens inside this new greaser when you kick up the pedal, but you can see the hose relax when you do it and if you do not do it the nozzle will not release 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, eggsarascal said:

How flash are you!?

I subbed a lad in today to help me with a Klargester, he pulled out a Milwaukee cordless grinder and a Bacho socket set, he'll learn they are best left in the van when he's up to his waist in shite.

Only bought the impact wrench because i'm bloody sick and tired of trying to be a contortionist every time I have to change the meshes on the screener.
It's turned a 2.5 - 3 hour job into a 30 - 40 minute job.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, eggsarascal said:

How flash are you!?

Tools are there to be used. You'd think my Makita gear was twenty years old going by the overall condition of it- it's not, but it gets used regularly and hard.

Personally I can't stand tradesmen who demand a hefty day rate and then pull out wanky old tools that take twice as long.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, scraggs said:

Only bought the impact wrench because i'm bloody sick and tired of trying to be a contortionist every time I have to change the meshes on the screener.
It's turned a 2.5 - 3 hour job into a 30 - 40 minute job.

I started my business with an impact wrench. Farm boss told me to change the combine knives- two 13mm spanners for a load of nylocked low profile bolts next to sharp knives. I drove down the local town and spent two weeks pay on a battery impact wrench, which were quite a new thing at the time. A month later I quit, convinced I could make a better job of running a business.

Not sure how I'm doing on that metric, but I have now have more kit than most hire shops ?

Edited by doobin
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Billhook said:

I had not thought about a non return valve .   All I know is that normal grease guns are a pain to attach to a nipple and frequently become detached except when you want to detach them and then they sometimes break the nipple.

i am not sure what happens inside this new greaser when you kick up the pedal, but you can see the hose relax when you do it and if you do not do it the nozzle will not release 

Could it be similar to releasing  the pressure on a calking gun when you don't want the silicone to keep coming out ?

1 hour ago, doobin said:

Tools are there to be used. You'd think my Makita gear was twenty years old going by the overall condition of it- it's not, but it gets used regularly and hard.

Personally I can't stand tradesmen who demand a hefty day rate and then pull out wanky old tools that take twice as long.

I've been in drainage most of my working life most lads will have decent workshop tools, they won't be taking them down the hole. Does a Bacho ratchet work faster/better than a Halfords one?

2 hours ago, eggsarascal said:

I've been in drainage most of my working life most lads will have decent workshop tools, they won't be taking them down the hole. Does a Bacho ratchet work faster/better than a Halfords one?

I personally only use cheapish sockets and ratchets, but a decent cordless grinder is a must, and who cares if it gets a bit of shit on it with the the time it saves?