Greaser’s Heaven

Billhook

After years or rather decades of struggling to keep the machinery greased, some genius in South Africa has come up with the solution as far as I am concerned.

Some of the bigger equipment can easily empty a standard grease cartridge and then there is the need for three hands, one to hold the gun, one to operate the handle and a third to hold the flexible on the nipple.

The Caterpillar D7 takes a lot of grease to adjust the track tension.  Then there are another ten or so nipples,  the JCB swing shovel has at least twenty, the Matbro Teleporter another twenty, the Spearhead Batwing about fifteen, the Cherry picker about the same plus several other machines, Lucas and Palax.

Firstly it comes with a thing that looks a bit like a loo brush at first sight but which is a clever shovel and scraper for transferring the grease from the standard grease bucket to the machine, which not only scrapes the inside of the shovel but also the outside with the result of nil waste and clean hands

Then there is the clever device that clamps onto the nipple so it can be left unattended.  An upward kick on the foot pedal releases the pressure so it comes off easily, unlike some grease fittings which can be a real struggle.

It delivers 10,000 psi, which cleared a blocked nipple that I had not been able to clear with a hand gun and I did all my machinery this morning in no time and had a clean pair of hands and grease free clothes and I still have half the container left.

I was considering an electric one from Milwaukee or the like but a friend had tried one and eventually took it back advising me against one.  Then there is always the issue of chargers and batteries. They about the same price as the G- gun around £230 

Not too big a price for an easier life!

5728201C-D3D0-4963-AE52-2E8D733CA73A.jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Stubby said:

I must admit I thought it was going to be about the ACE CAFFE and 60s  motorbikes . Well thought out tool though . Like it .

1956 Cat D7 is all teddy boys and Elvis.  And when I use her I am definitely all shook up!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

I know loads of people who use battery operated Grease Guns and love them. 

Have you got shares in this contraption? :D 

Fair comment, just wish someone had thought of this idea years ago.   With electric ones you still have to replace the standard cartridge quite often and I expect my greasing session today would have used at least three cartridges.

The way the thing locks and unlocks onto the nipple and the clever filling tools just make me a very happy chappy!

• Like 2

Just now, Billhook said:

Electric ones ain't that cheap either!

The mobility and single person usage of a Battery Grease gun wins it for me. Id much rather not dance a jig on the deck or do a rain dance to get get my grease to flow. To be fair we're never greasing to the levels you are, 5t diggers, Avants and 2.6t Teli-Handlers etc. Slipping in a new tubes never been considered a chore. Who's not pretended they're not slotting another mag into their sub machine gun? Just me? Oh. :P

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Billhook said:

The way the thing locks and unlocks onto the nipple

I can't see hauling that onto the roof of the County being  possible but do like the grease chuck and pressure release.

Also no way to foot operate when lying under to do prop shafts

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

I can't see hauling that onto the roof of the County being  possible but do like the grease chuck and pressure release.

Also no way to foot operate when lying under to do prop shafts

Was thinking the same, still a nice bit of kit though and not needing air or leccy is a big plus. A small cordless for me for on site and an air powered one with a 4mtr hose is the nuts in the yard.

CCA29409-434E-4C2E-87B4-F5044F25ED4F_zps

• Like 2

I'm not sure it will catch on, it looks nice and the end could be an improvement for loader arms but it looks more effort than an electric one and I would rather carry my milwaukee around than that. The milwaukee is 10000psi as well and the battery lasts a few cartridges so there's nothing else to carry.

Only reason I think ends aren't like that already is they wouldn't fit through the holes in the guard of a pto shaft or similar. 

When a person invents autolube for shafts I'll be very happy. :)

Edited by gdh
  • Like 1