Luck money

eggsarascal

"Luck Penny" was the term  I grew up with, and yes after the ruthless bargaining, a gesture that there was goodwill.

When I  bought the car trailer a few month ago, I was a little surprised to get a "luck penny" back, about £40 in 2.5k.

Here in NI, not particularly connected to the travelling community, just more a rural thing.

Actually recalling Sean, the plasterer gave me a luck penny back when I paid him for plastering the garden room, this after several needed interjections on my part regarding his "failure to comply" with my clearly stated requirements when the job was priced, but I paid up, in full, in cash and on completition.

Edited by difflock

4 hours ago, Ratman said:

Same as skyhuck suggests! Being from farming background, used to get offered “luck money” on sale of a cow / sheep etc at auction!
Think those times have faded though! emoji849.pngemoji849.png

It still happens regularly at livestock markets here. The seller will stand next to the auctioneer with money held aloft (usually a quid, sometimes a fiver) to be passed on to the winning bidder. Farming tradition, nothing to do with travellers in this example. 

Luck money still happens at sheep auctions around here. It's all a bit secretive and can involve thousands of pounds being handed back, so they say, to the original seller. Bare in mind, prize winning tups can sell for tens of thousands of pounds at auction.

2 minutes ago, daveindales said:

Luck money still happens at sheep auctions around here. It's all a bit secretive and can involve thousands of pounds being handed back, so they say, to the original seller. Bare in mind, prize winning tups can sell for tens of thousands of pounds at auction.

That is not luck money, simply a downright dishonest practise to inflate prices for the benefit of the  top breeders, at the expense of everyone else, also has benefits re any inflated insurance claims. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, difflock said:

"Luck Penny" was the term  I grew up with, and yes after the ruthless bargaining, a gesture that there was goodwill.

When I  bought the car trailer a few month ago, I was a little surprised to get a "luck penny" back, about £40 in 2.5k.

Here in NI, not particularly connected to the travelling community, just more a rural thing.

Actually recalling Sean, the plasterer gave me a luck penny back when I paid him for plastering the garden room, this after several needed interjections on my part regarding his "failure to comply" with my clearly stated requirements when the job was priced, but I paid up, in full, in cash and on completition.

"Luck penny" is what the Irish call it. I had a very well educated Irishman carry out some work which came to 1.5K and he gave me a £1 back. At the time is felt like just a pleasant gesture regardless of the amount.

• Like 2