What kit is needed to do my Climbing and Rope Rescue Training...

Jamie Jones

I am after advice on what climbing kit I will need as I am going to do my Arb Climbing and Rope Rescue Training/Qualifications.

This is so that I can add doing the Groundsman work for tree surgeons during the winter when the Ground Maintainance side of my work is quiet. Obviously having the Climbing and Rope Rescue Qualifications is a benefit along with all my other ground based chainsaw qualifications for working with tree surgeons. Once I have got the Climbing and Rope Rescue Qualifications I would also like to go further an add other climbing Qualifications.

So my question is what kit would I need for Arb Climbing and Rope Rescue (to be self sufficient)  especially if I am looking to go further. And for tree surgeons if I was going to subbing to you, what would you expect me to have?

A good list of kit with recommendations would be most helpful.

(I have climbed before... Rock Climbing so I don't expect heights to be an issue)

Edited by Jamie Jones
grammer/spelling

I went to a training centre where they lend kit, if like me you hadn't climbed before then I would recommend this approach as it was really good to learn and talk about kit on the course before buying. You might also absolutely hate heights and then decide on a different plan.

Have you sorted where to get training? That would be one to ask for recommendations on, depends where you are in the country of course.

2 hours ago, Dan Maynard said:

I went to a training centre where they lend kit, if like me you hadn't climbed before then I would recommend this approach as it was really good to learn and talk about kit on the course before buying. You might also absolutely hate heights and then decide on a different plan.

Have you sorted where to get training? That would be one to ask for recommendations on, depends where you are in the country of course.

Good advice/points..... I used to rock climb and heights haven't been an issue... There is a very good training provider local to me...

From my rock climbing days I don’t like using other people’s kit as I had a training centre harness fail on me. It had been badly stored when wet and the stitching failed. I had to use a sling to make a temporary harness to get off the rock face.

Edited by Jamie Jones

2 hours ago, Dan Maynard said:

this to the training

Edited by Cheesy pete

If you think you will progress a climbing certified helmet and harness is the basic ‘i want my own kit’ starting point.
to work you need a rope, friction system ( prussic, hitchclimber, Zigzag etc ) positioning lanyard, type c full protection trouser( for aerial cutting or whatever it’s called)
then there’s loads to add into the kitbag.

Having recently re-certed my aerial rescue I would suggest the following as a starting point;

Helmet (to the correct standard), Harness (must fit and be comfortable), Climbing line (35-45m), Lanyard (10-20m),

3 Prussiks (two on climbing line/1 on lanyard), 4 x 3-way Krabs, (different colours for line ends/lanyard ends),

Spikes (sized to fit), Rescue Knife, Whistle, First Aid Kit (on harness), Hand saw (Ivy!!!) and a Kit Bag to put it all in.

Extra bits of kit I didn't have (and passed without) but you may want to consider were a short Quickdraw with a 3 way Krab at each end to connect casualty to rescuer and a eyed split tail or cambium saver to make a false anchor for pole rescue.

All this will not be cheap if bought from scratch. Perhaps the kit at training centre route and build your kit when you pass.

2 minutes ago, Si Jo Tee said:

Having recently re-certed my aerial rescue I would suggest the following as a starting point;

Helmet (to the correct standard), Harness (must fit and be comfortable), Climbing line (35-45m), Lanyard (10-20m),

3 Prussiks (two on climbing line/1 on lanyard), 4 x 3-way Krabs, (different colours for line ends/lanyard ends),

Spikes (sized to fit), Rescue Knife, Whistle, First Aid Kit (on harness), Hand saw (Ivy!!!) and a Kit Bag to put it all in.

Extra bits of kit I didn't have (and passed without) but you may want to consider were a short Quickdraw with a 3 way Krab at each end to connect casualty to rescuer and a eyed split tail or cambium saver to make a false anchor for pole rescue.

All this will not be cheap if bought from scratch. Perhaps the kit at training centre route and build your kit when you pass.

Thanks for that...
As soon as I pass the course it could be that it is the point that my Grounds Maintenance session comes to a winter close and I will be going straight into needing it..

Out of interest did you use a hitchclimber or Zigzag? 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...