Invasive beech tree roots

Locky

Hi all

I am trying to get some advice on whether to take out a small claims action against my local council with regard to some beech trees that they own.

My property is bordered by some large 50 foot beech trees and the roots have caused my patio to rise up considerably, the local council has admitted they are the owner of the trees and are removing them soon, I have told them they are liable for the damage to my patio and any subsequent damage to any other part of my property in the future.

They have simply referred me to their insurers. Their insurers are considering my claim!

This has been going on for months and I am getting really fed up with no progress or admission of liability.

Do I obtain a structural survey and arboritist report and go to the small claims in the meantime or give the council more time to dither.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_a66b.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_a66c.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_a66d.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_a669.jpg

2 hours ago, Locky said:

Hi all

I am trying to get some advice on whether to take out a small claims action against my local council with regard to some beech trees that they own.

My property is bordered by some large 50 foot beech trees and the roots have caused my patio to rise up considerably, the local council has admitted they are the owner of the trees and are removing them soon, I have told them they are liable for the damage to my patio and any subsequent damage to any other part of my property in the future.

They have simply referred me to their insurers. Their insurers are considering my claim!

This has been going on for months and I am getting really fed up with no progress or admission of liability.

Do I obtain a structural survey and arboritist report and go to the small claims in the meantime or give the council more time to dither.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_a66b.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_a66c.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_a66d.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_a669.jpg

Or maybe just accept that a few hundred pounds worth of damage has been done to your patio by a couple of trees and pay someone to re-lay the affected slabs?  Would you want to live in an area with no trees?  

• Like 5

That patio looks like it wanted ripping up and chucking in a skip anyway - stop kicking off for the sake of it would be my opinion. 

As said, do you want a treeless environment to live in? Maybe buy a house on a new estate if so, so you can decide what grows up in your immediate environment. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Arbortist? You mean arborist I guess. Have the courtesy to use the correct title and you'll get further.

Re title thread "invasion of concrete jungle damages trees natural habitat and landowner threatens council to remove said trees then brags about it on tree care forum."

Trees look healthy apart from the root damage you've caused. They add maturity to the surroundings, provide shade and shelter as well as habitat and once maintained properly into the future will probably outlive all of us.

The trees are of more value than the patio imo. Not what you want to hear I'm sure but so be it. 

My advice would be to adjust your patio and improve the amenity value of your garden utilising the trees to your advantage, raised beds, floating deck etc.. as opposed to bitching about it. Hard to buy that level of maturity in a tree, take the benefit of having it there for free and keep on top of the council to maintain, not just drop them.

• Like 5

Arbortist? You mean arborist I guess. Have the courtesy to use the correct title and you'll get further.
Re title thread "invasion of concrete jungle damages trees natural habitat and landowner threatens council to remove said trees then brags about it on tree care forum."
Trees look healthy apart from the root damage you've caused. They add maturity to the surroundings, provide shade and shelter as well as habitat and once maintained properly into the future will probably outlive all of us.
The trees are of more value than the patio imo. Not what you want to hear I'm sure but so be it. 
My advice would be to adjust your patio and improve the amenity value of your garden utilising the trees to your advantage, raised beds, floating deck etc.. as opposed to bitching about it. Hard to buy that level of maturity in a tree, take the benefit of having it there for free and keep on top of the council to maintain, not just drop them.

[emoji848][emoji848][emoji848].........[emoji6][emoji106][emoji108][emoji23]

Basically , Beech trees are rare in comparison to other species, mature ones need conserving in the UK, felling a tree fr yr patio ? No - an engineering solution mate. I get tired of plaintiffs such as this and deal daily with them fr a big company. Cherish what something is - not how it affects yr monthly bbq plans. K

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, Locky said:

Read the post you bunch of muppets, the trees are coming down on monday regardless.

I was after advice, positive advice but it appears this forum is for tree hugging twats.

Looks like you drive a POS MG and dare to call others twats? :D How about you vent your anger and lift that disgusting patio and lay a new one ya Cock. 

• Haha 5