Worst job you have ever done

simonm

1 minute ago, Steve Bullman said:

Carried out a months work of tree work on the new A1(M) around 22 years ago. Most of it involved thinning the roadside stands. Part of the contract was to litter pick all the plots and we took that on ourselves. Didn't have the luxury of littler picking handles, all was done by hand and a lot of it involved crawling through the blackthorn thickets on our hands and knees. There was a whole load of crap in there that had been there for a lot of years. Loads of old bottles full of suspiciously coloured liquids that were so old and degraded they disintegrated in your hands when you picked them up. We wore rubber gloves underneath gauntlets, but it was still grim. There was a Mcdonalds at Alconbury that we had stopped at to eat every night throughout the works. No one had any appetite on the litter picking days. Had about a week of that all in all.

Bet the wagon drivers had left some nasty surprises in the hedge backs ?

90ft sequoia ivy from top to bottom didnt no of srt back in them days so I had to start at the bottom cutting triangular shaped bales of ivy that was so thick and matted together it must of been on there 50 years or moor every limb had to be rigged as the tree was 3ft from a mini stately home slate roof windows hot day I had a 16inch bar on my 200t and it wouldn't touch the stem If I plunged it through the ivy it was that thick when I finally got stem cleaned off then had to rig limbs then back up to the top with my dated climbing system pole gaffs and rig all the wood down I questioned my life choices that day several times [emoji849]

Clearing miles of steep banks on the motorways at night under artificial light , normally late on and harassed off early by TM tossers, chainsaws and shadows, mulching bits of  car`s wreckage, bits of motorway barrier and all the other crap strewn up the banks hidden by vegetation. Worst tree was a gurt monkey puzzle removal I underpriced :blushing: still reminded about it twenty years on :)

Bob

• Like 1