Worst job you have ever done

simonm

I will start... Priced to Dismantle a small beech badly topped previously mostly eppi in a front garden steady job 2 blokes could park the chipper under the tree cut & chuck fell stem onto brash pile easy. 

Tree was shared between 2 neighbours, gave 1 of them my price of £500 lad was happy said let me speak to neighbour and come back to you. 3 weeks later lad calls me can you have another look at this tree, not far away goes to look... his neighbour and m8 had tried to take it down got brash off and dragged it down a alley way and crammed it in a tiny garden all criss crossed jammed into the max. Left Pole as they didn't have a saw sharp enough to cut it. Re quoted charged more got the job... Started at 7.30am and didn't finish till around 9pm! Worst job EVER!!!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Un blocking the main sewer at the Nuffield Hospital Chichester .

I did a very brief stint at dynorod, unblocking a manhole overflowing in the middle of Bradford with bog roll and turd allover. Asian kids paddling around in it like they were at the seaside. Still have flashbacks ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

I did a very brief stint at dynorod, unblocking a manhole overflowing in the middle of Bradford with bog roll and turd allover. Asian kids paddling around in it like they were at the seaside. Still have flashbacks ?
Brilliant wish u had told me this story befor nearly fell off my chair laughing spilt coke down down my favourite holiday vest ????

In Arb or generally?

Out of Arb it was the brickworks at Rudgwick, repetitive, hard, noisy, dusty, mindless.

I managed a day and a half, there were guys there who had done 20/30/40 years, they had my complete respect, better men than me.

In Arb, the usual, underpriced conny hedges, full of brambles driving you to tears until (as @Mark Bolam famously said) “you want to plunge the ms200 directly into your heart at full chat to end it”

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Worked in a tannery as a summer job, the fat got cut off the skins, heads and hoofs in steel drums, rock salt on the skins and then folded on to pallets. The stench in he summer heat was unbearable, everything got washed on a daily basis as it stunk.

I did get £70 a week back in the late 70s which was decent money in those days!

7 minutes ago, bigtreedon said:

Brilliant wish u had told me this story befor nearly fell off my chair laughing spilt coke down down my favourite holiday vest ????

Got sent to another one in Bradford, house was rancid the kind where you wipe your boots on way out, Asian lady shouting something foreign at me downstairs bog was packed to the knackers with shit, told her I was going to get something out the van drove back to yard chucked keys at gaffer said its not for me and left £12 an hour no way

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

In Arb or generally?

Out of Arb it was the brickworks at Rudgwick, repetitive, hard, noisy, dusty, mindless.

I managed a day and a half, there were guys there who had done 20/30/40 years, they had my complete respect, better men than me.

In Arb, the usual, underpriced conny hedges, full of brambles driving you to tears until (as @Mark Bolam famously said) “you want to plunge the ms200 directly into your heart at full chat to end it”

Father in law did it all his life, must be like robots. 

Carried out a months work of tree work on the new A1(M) around 22 years ago. Most of it involved thinning the roadside stands. Part of the contract was to litter pick all the plots and we took that on ourselves. Didn't have the luxury of littler picking handles, all was done by hand and a lot of it involved crawling through the blackthorn thickets on our hands and knees. There was a whole load of crap in there that had been there for a lot of years. Loads of old bottles full of suspiciously coloured liquids that were so old and degraded they disintegrated in your hands when you picked them up. We wore rubber gloves underneath gauntlets, but it was still grim. There was a Mcdonalds at Alconbury that we had stopped at to eat every night throughout the works. No one had any appetite on the litter picking days. Had about a week of that all in all.

• Like 1