Retraining to work as a tree surgeon

tlk

2 hours ago, Steve Bullman said:

Have you done your research into what you'd be likely to earn? Its probably safe to say a tree surgeons wage is going to be a massive drop from online advertising

I am currently on £19k a year but will be going down to £14k after my hours are adjusted so not huge money I would say. I have had a bit of a look at tree surgeon salaries but there seems to be a bit of a range. The plan would be to supplement my income to start with which seems a more sensible way to do it.

Thanks for the replies so far the general consensus seems to steer clear though!

I could see if I can get a trial somewhere like some people have suggested and see how I get on and whether I like it. 

39 minutes ago, tlk said:

Thanks for the replies so far the general consensus seems to steer clear though!

I could see if I can get a trial somewhere like some people have suggested and see how I get on and whether I like it. 

How fit are you? I cant imagine and internet sales type job being very physical so I assume you'll be going to the gym regularly? Even if you are I think you'd get a wake up call as to hard and physically demanding Tree work is. You'll be wearing you body out at an age where people are already at the top of their game and have their tickets, tools, contacts and knowledge already in place, in an already over saturated market. By the time you even get remotely close to that you'll be a broken man. 

If you're still really keen Id suggest taking a 2 week holiday from work and do the two weeks working with a crew and get them to run you as hard as they would if you where actually working for them and then see how you feel about it all. One day here and there is just a jolly and would mean nothing. 

• Like 1

If you are only on 19k I’d say feel free to give it a go.
Do you have desires to be a climber or would you be happy working on the ground, stump grinding etc.

I started climbing at 32 with a years experience felling in the woods. I started on £75 a day as a chipper bitch with the intention of getting up a tree ASAP!
I’ve made the most of the opportunity given to me and 5 years later I am lead climber and on £35k.

If you find the right company then there is opportunity - but climbing isn’t everyone’s game, and definitely has a limited life span...

Just expect to feel like you have been hit by a bus at the end of your first full week dragging brash!

4 hours ago, Steve Bullman said:

Have you done your research into what you'd be likely to earn? Its probably safe to say a tree surgeons wage is going to be a massive drop from online advertising

Sometimes I think everyone thinks everyone else is on better money than they are! 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Conor Wright said:

Sometimes I think everyone thinks everyone else is on better money than they are! 

True. I was in a more senior position before when I was In London so whilst its a different city and London wages are different and all that, I am in a role with less responsibilities so the salary is different.

I've started late as well, few years in so I would say learnt a lot but certainly plenty to learn.

All these people saying don't do it are just the first ones to post. I will say don't do it for the money and be prepared for hard physical work, do it because you like working outside and have some interest in trees.

I suggest to get on the phone and talk to local firms, find out who is short of staff and make the most of any opportunity, it does seem like firms struggle to recruit good people so if you are reliable and hardworking there is a good chance you will get on.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, tlk said:

True. I was in a more senior position before when I was In London so whilst its a different city and London wages are different and all that, I am in a role with less responsibilities so the salary is different.

High wages in a high cost environment can end up the same as an average wage away from the hustle and bustle. 

If you can afford to give it a go, by all means do.. beats asking yourself "what if?" In the future. If it works it works if not it ain't for ya.