Google Maps for top's

Craig Johnson

I have had a application knocked back because  using google maps/satellite pic does not show an accurate position of the tree in relation to the dwelling and boundary, which has me at a bit of a loos as there's only one tree, which has a big red arrow pointing to it. i have used google before, has anything changed?

41 minutes ago, Craig Johnson said:

I have had a application knocked back because  using google maps/satellite pic does not show an accurate position of the tree in relation to the dwelling and boundary, which has me at a bit of a loos as there's only one tree, which has a big red arrow pointing to it. i have used google before, has anything changed?

That sounds a little bit anal on their behalf. Did you draw a plan of sorts too and submit photos?

1 hour ago, Michael Edwards said:

Its to do with copyright i think. I was told to stop using copy/pasted google maps and also the councils own mapping system and drawing my tree locations over the top for this reason.

I have also been told similar, but if you read the google maps terms and conditions you can use them in reports. You have to reference them. 

• Like 4

Craig,  I have used Google maps on all my applications in the last few years, Never had a problem with my local To's (Beds)

Could understand if you have a large group of trees, But, as you have done, with a large pointy arrow and a good description of the tree, I cannot see why the TO would have a problem....

I thought they made a lot more sense then a line drawing and then trying to draw a top down scale size canopy,  Plus easier to carry out the application with the Planning Portal.

Hope the TO sees sense 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have a problem with that.  There is no stipulation on how a plan is presented in the regulations.  However, it must be clear enough with the description and the plan to easily identify the tree(s).  I don't have a problem with an arborist using our map, the orginal TPO map, OS plan whatever.  So long as I can identify the tree.  As a point, I use google earth to plot some of my work.